Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Flags on the 48 Planning Get-together

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Ikes. Yeah, I have to concur with Frodo – I’ll need to be out of there early on Sunday to visit my folks. But the next weekend wouldn’t be any better, as that’s Mom’s birthday…
      😕

Jaytrek57

If at all possible could we poll the date out?

May 8 and 15 do not work for me. Instructing a training those days. Realize that any date is not ideal for everyone…but hey…have to try.

Actually, May 15 would be appropriate…as I puruse my calendar it is Armed Forces Day. Oh well. Either way I’ll be there physically or in spirit.

BTW…won the under again!!

SilentCal

I didn’t realize at first that the 9th was Mother’s day. For some reason i thought it was the 16th. I was hoping for sometime before Memorial Day so we might launch the sign-ups that weekend. Maybe we should hold the meeting in June and launch for the 4th of July. I think Frodo is going to be away for June and many of us need to buy him some Guinness for the patches he made for us. Whatever date works best….. If we push closer to the summer, people will have much more going on ie. Weddings, Graduations and family get-togethers.
          Jaytrek- you taking the under in the next game? :beer:

Jaytrek57

I think a July 4th launch date is pretty reasonable. 2 full months of sign-ups sounds good.

((Had to say all that to stay on topic…b/c))

SilentCal to answer your question…

I am betting the over. It opened at 38 and I grabbed that. To me…Superbowls are almost always high scoring. Since 1978 only, 4 games have been under 40 points and those were 37, 39, 39, 36.

I will also take the Patriots but will wait to let that line drop some more…opened at 7 and is now at 6 1/2. Patriots in a blowout. That young QB from Carolina is in for a long day.

MtnMagic

I knew May 8 was the day before Mother’s Day. Why not met for a brainstorming night and we all leave early to visit mom?! It still is a few days before the black flies hatch. Later in the year will see many more campers and the possibility of less sites. Haven’t heard from the ladies. C’mon, let’s put it together. Share your thoughts!

Greg

@MtnMagic wrote:

Why not met for a brainstorming night and we all leave early to visit mom?!

Remember Magic, some folks will need to travel a fair distance. It’s at least a 4 1/2 hour ride for me to the Kanc. Mom’s Day weekend will not work for me. It was already suggested to poll this out. Let’s pick a few dates and have a poll. I nominate 6/26.

Jaytrek57

It was already suggested to poll this out. Let’s pick a few dates and have a poll. I nominate 6/26.

Greg.
                  I’ll take the under on 6/26. 😉

Stephen

I like a june date myself… better shot for a fair weather hiker like me to squeeze off a peak or 2.

-T

MichaelJ

I don’t mind a late June date, but that means that due to bugs we will probably not be hanging out around the campfire.

Also – will someone undertake to reserve the necessary campsites? We’ll definitely need a reservation at that point (school will be letting out).

Frodo

I vote for May 1, 8, or 15th. I am unable to attend anything from the end of May thru June. May is also early enough to implement any ideas that come from this “get together”. As far as hiking goes, bugs are few and far between which is awesome. The trails might have some mud down low and some snow in the higher elevations, but that makes it more fun! 😀

I suggest that Greg set up an automated poll and we go with the majority. I doubt that there will be a date that everyone can attend, so some of us will just have to be there in spirit…

Patriots 24 Carolina 12

Greg

@Frodo wrote:

I suggest that Greg set up an automated poll and we go with the majority.

Okay, so far we have 5/1, 5/8, 5/15, 6/26. Any other suggested dates? I’ll fire up a poll tomorrow so nominate your date of choice now.

SilentCal

Any date is good with me except for Memorial day weekend. I just need to know at least six weeks in advance so Cathie and myself can get the time off. How about June 5th or 12th? If we can get a definite count on who is going, I don’t mind to do the reservation. Does that still mean we are up for Hancock? If it’s in June , Lafayette will be open. Maybe you should include the site in the poll as well Greg. Should we send a mass- email to all the participants to get that vote as well or limit it to those on the boards?

Greg

Here’s the date poll:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1049

I’ll create another for location. These are the options suggested here so far:

Ammonoosuc Campground
                              Carter Hut
                              Fransted Family Campground
                              Hancock Campground
                              Lafayette Place Campground (June dates only?)
                              Lonesome Lake Hut
                              Tripoli Road

Jigger Johnson (open in May?) also has some large sites, but it’s closer to Conway than Lincoln. Any other nominations?

Greg

@SilentCal wrote:

Should we send a mass- email to all the participants to get that vote as well or limit it to those on the boards?

I would like to avoid the mass Email thing. The peak sign-up process didn’t include an option to receive Emails or not. Some folks are very sensitive to that and I would like to avoid having anyone complain or fault AZ for violating their privacy. Due to the nature of the event, that’s not likely to happen, but it only takes one “bad apple”. Perhaps on this year’s sign-up we can include an opt-in for Email notices.

With notifying everybody, we also run the risk of creating a large “event” out of what really should be a small gathering to brainstorm. I think the folks that frequent this forum would suffice for a planning get-together. We also don’t want to overrun a campground or hut with say a hundred people as that may also paint the event in a bad light. It also detracts from one premise behind this whole thing; its “grassroots” nature. Just my opinion…

SilentCal

Small is good. The idea for the e-mail notice during signup is also good. I think i am just getting ahead of myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
                                • The topic ‘Flags on the 48 Planning Get-together’ is closed to new replies.