Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Flags on the 48 Planning Get-together

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

What Michael said. Also, take a look at the official Flags on the 48 Web site (which we should definitely jazz up for next year…):

Home

Jayne

You can count me in and I will spread the word…. 😀

Stephen

How are the Whites weather-wise in early May? What are the prospects of squeezing off a peak or 2 without the use of crampons that weekend?

-T

MtnMagic

Compared to every year, there will be plenty of well-packed snow and ice above 3k’ in early May in the Northern Whites. Crampons will be still be a necessity for several to many more weeks. Especially if the trail faces the northside. You will see snow/ice 2 feet thick, strong spring winds, and even a snowstorm or two! Even if it is 70 degrees or more in the valleys. Oh, and no bugs on the snow/ice covered slopes.

SilentCal

Lafayette Campground is not open until May 28th. Can anyone suggest another place to hold our get together that would be open?

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Fransted family campground in Franconia (just off exit 37) is a possibility. I haven’t camped there but their website says they’re opening up May 1, 2004. http://www.franstedcampground.com

MichaelJ

Hancock Campground on the Kanc is open all winter.

Max

My hiking log from last years shows I did Mt. Tremont on May 4th and Mt. Tecumseh on May 10th and there was post-holeable snow on both peaks at that time.

Jaytrek57

Max–

Are you posting to keep “one” post ahead of MichaelJ? 😉

Perhaps get space/bunks now at Carter? Just a thought…

Peace.

Bettheundertrek57

MichaelJ

I’m still partial to the drive-up campground approach. It allows us to more easily bring in samples of flagpole designs to talk about, photos to look at, stuff to write with/on, etc.

But if the majority likes Carter, I’d certainly be up for it. I absolutely love the place (and I want to climb the Wildcats).
                        🙂

Max

@Jaytrek wrote:

Max–

Doh! I never even noticed that! I must be spending way too much time on the computer!

I’m up for meeting about anywhere, but the campground thing sounds a lot more feasible for the reasons Michael mentioned.

Max

Greg

@Max wrote:

@Jaytrek wrote:

Max–

Doh! I never even noticed that! I must be spending way too much time on the computer!

You just did it again…. 😛

SilentCal

I’m really up for anywhere but we need to remember a few things. While we will be spread out camping wise, our get-together will be a fairly good sized group. I estimate between 25-30. Some private campgrounds could frown upon seeing such a large group congreagate on one site for several hours. Carter Notch or Lonesome Lake would be great but some people may be turned off by having to hike in. I would assume too, that some people may just show up for the meeting and then head out on their merry way to a warm bed. So we need some open space, fairly close to highways, and maybe lots of firewood if it’s cold.

MtnMagic

I’m all for camping right off a paved road. May sees the mud season before the bugs hatch. Let’s look into Hancock off the Kanc which is a fine level graded area.

Yes Max is right, postholing is certain on the trails in the beginning of May.

Frodo

Tripoli Road should be open for camping with it’s numerous sites. Kinda like “wild west” camping with no facilities and occasional intoxicated neighbors firing celebratory shots in the air… Yeee-haaa!!! BANG! BANG!

I like the CNH idea, but I think that would limit some of the from attending (nothing like car camping for socializing).

I am surprised to hear that Lafayette Place doesn’t open until May 28th. I thought they were open year round? Ammonoosuc Campground in Twin Mt usually opens early. I think any campground will do, especailly because we will likely be their only business that weekend… I am also up for the CNH if everyone wants to do that (don’t have to worry about the weather).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
                                • The topic ‘Flags on the 48 Planning Get-together’ is closed to new replies.