Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Flags on the 48 Patches

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Silent Cal,

Another thought. A calender with the 12 best flag photos and the Original Flag on Mt. Liberty Photo as the cover. Maybe we could see if we could sell some at The Mountain Wanderer.

It would cover the cost of the proposed new flag website, pay for the cost of the patches AND generate P.R. (public relations). Yes, yes, yes. C’mon everyone, share your thoughts.

Frodo

A calendar is a fantastic idea, but there are 2 problems. It would take several thousand $$$ to do our own calendar, and how could we pick the 12 best summit photos? Impossible. They are all spectacular!

As for the patch, we could put the year on it, but it just means a new patch every year which costs a few bucks. If there is no year, then we can use the same patch, but there certainly is something special about seeing the year… I could go either way on that one.

We could always add “let freedom ring”, but I agree with Silent Cal about leaving 9-11 Memorial Hike. We have to emphasize why we are doing this…

MtnMagic

How about 4 flags on the 48 each month. The patches are unique. The calenders are certainly unique. Patches, calenders, and a website. Let’s get more feed back from the others. Let’s hear your thoughts.

Jaytrek57

Picking the photos is easy…all the ones with me in them. 😀

Just kidding.

I also agree that 9-11 should be left in somehow.

A calendar is a great idea. Countdown to the next event listed on the calendar as well? Could be a “cute” reminder.

shadowband

I like the idea of the calendar. Although choosing only 12 would be tough, I think the final result would be better than displaying 4 per page. We could open up a forum vote where we first pick the 12 peaks (albums), followed by a second vote to pick a single photo for each of the selected peaks. The back cover could be a 6 x 8 mosaic containing a small photo for each peak.

Shutterfly.com charges 15.99 for a single custom calendar, and will send a quote for orders 50 or over.

Greg

@shadowband wrote:

Shutterfly.com charges 15.99 for a single custom calendar, and will send a quote for orders 50 or over.

I’ve seen calendars from them and they are very nice. Obviously, it all depends on the resolution of the image so we should be sure that images we choose are high res. The Gallery sizes pics down to 800 pixels wide, but if you click on the pic again it will load it in its native size. Perhaps we can contact the providers of the pics to acquire the highest res image possible.

SilentCal

Eric should have the design for us at work tomorrow. I may have to scan it and post it in the Mt. Carrigain album. I’m quite computerly challanged so bear with me. Having the same patch but changing the years would be okay with me. Newcomers that participate would see older patches and maybe realize the importance of their hike more. I think it would attract repeat flag-bearers and keep present flag-bearers with a small badge of honor to remember the day.
                  I’m not sure i understand the calendar concept being put forth. I’ve seen shutterfly 12-month calendars and the quality is very good. I’ve never seen 4 pictures for one month though. Would that increase the cost of the calendars? 4 pictures would be a great idea if we had pictures from all the peaks. However taking both galleries together we are still missing some peaks:
                  Adams
                  Middle Carter
                  South Carter
                  Isolation
                  North Kinsman
                  Owl’s Head
                  Passaconaway
                  Tom
                  Middle Tripyramid
                  Washington
                  Whiteface
                  What would we do for these peaks?

shadowband

I was actually proposing that we only use 1 picture per month. Using more than 1 per month would (IMHO) end up looking too cluttered. However, if we did want to go the “multiple picture per month” route, it would be at no additional cost provided that we perform the photo editing (i.e. we would have to combine the 4 photos into a single .jpg file which we would submit for a particular month).

MtnMagic

…we are still missing some peaks: …What would we do for these peaks?

We can always re-climb them, fly the flag and explain they weren’t selected. I’m certain it would hasten others to participant.

RichC

Silent Cal, pics from North Kinsman will be forthcoming, please bear with us, we’re slow.

SilentCal

Eric finally got me his patch idea and frankly I don’t like it. The way he drew it seems to imply the 48 peaks more than flags atop the 4000 footers. I like the above design much better and think we should go with that one. Count me in for two. Maybe we can do patches this year and calendars can be next year’s idea.

Frodo

You can view the patch MFG’s artwork here http://community.webshots.com/user/frodo2112

Due to several requests, I am having them put the year on it just below the mountains to see how it looks. I am still unsure on if we should have it on the patch. The main reason is the patch can also be used by people who participated last year, but not this year.

I have received requests for about 25 patches, so I am going to only order 100. Should have them in about 2 weeks. If you would like one, and haven’t requested any yet, please let me know.

Greg, I tried posting the image using IMG, but it still comes out blank. Sorry.

Greg

@Frodo wrote:

Greg, I tried posting the image using IMG, but it still comes out blank. Sorry.

This code:

91582444KHJkpi_ph.jpg

will give this:

MichaelJ

That looks great! The scene translated wonderfully to the patch and the shape works very well.

I originally wanted the year, but as I look at the patch I realize it will get awfully busy with the year in there and detract from the rest of the text. And since you’ll have so many extra it only makes sense to keep them for future years and participants.

Is it just me, or do the poles look like little A-frames in the actual stitched version?

MtnMagic

The patches look fantastic! I wrote you for three. May I make a contribution and ask for four patches. One extra for Ghostdog who hiked up Cabot but couldn’t make it to The Grill. Hey, this event was great fun. Let’s meet in six months to brainstorm next year’s event.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
                                • The topic ‘Flags on the 48 Patches’ is closed to new replies.