Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Feedback FOT48 – 2004

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
      #46998 |

Hi ALL,

What a great time I had getting the flag to Wildcat D with my son and talking to the people who passed through. I really appreciate being able to participate and the time afterwards at Mooseland Grill was just perfect. It was truly a pleasure to put names with faces and enjoy each others company.

A truly special group of people.

😆

SherpaKroto

I had a wonderful day hiking the ridge down to Mizpah and then 302. Tried in vain to get to Pierce in time to taks pics of the flag, but got ther a fwe minutes after they left. Have some good ones on Monroe and Ike that I will be posting as soon as that is open.

Thanks again for letting me be a part of this day of remembrance. I will be there again on 9/10/2005

Outtabreath

We had a wonderful time putting the flag on Hale. We had so many people that came through who stopped and had their moments on the cairn. Thanks to Scott, Sylvia and Jean for the company and carrying the flagpole, especially Sylvia for making the great memorial poster of her 4 friends that were lost that day. It made for some special moments on the peak.
          Thanks Lisa for the use of your flag, its history made the day even more meaningful.
          It was great to meet everyone at the Mooseland, you are all very special people. We are all planning to be there again next year, with an expanded crew.
          Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers with the website and the planning of the event, thanks for making sure that day and those souls Are Not Forgotten.
          Hopefully, we’ll see you on the trails.
          :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

rbhayes

Words cannot describe what a wonderfull day we had yesterday on Mt Liberty. Somewhere between 100 and 200 hikers came by the summit with 40 – 50 present at most times.

When we arrived at the summit at 10:45, we found a flag already flying – a crew had decided to start their day by flying a flag on Mt Liberty starting at 6 AM. They waited until we arrived to swap flag duty, so Mt Liberty was covered from 6 AM to 3 PM.

We have posted pics and comments that people wrote inour log book on our web page:
            http://rbhayes.net/flags.html

It was great to meet many of you at the Mooseland Grill! We look forward to participating again next year.

summit1

We had a great day for the flags and great company for the hike to North Twin. We had alot of good comments about the flag and the whole idea of FOT48. We spotted flags on South Twin, Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty. It was fun finally putting some faces with names at Mooseland. Sorry Greg, I never did get off my butt to come over to meet up with you, I guess I was being kind of lazy 😆 We had a great weekend, filled with great people and great views.

Greg

@summit1 wrote:

We had a great day for the flags and great company for the hike to North Twin. We had alot of good comments about the flag and the whole idea of FOT48. We spotted flags on South Twin, Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty. It was fun finally putting some faces with names at Mooseland. Sorry Greg, I never did get off my butt to come over to meet up with you, I guess I was being kind of lazy 😆 We had a great weekend, filled with great people and great views.

The North Twin Flag was obviously the easiest for us to spot. Also with the naked eye, we could see flags on Hale, Zealand and after confirming with the binoculars, Bond. With the binoculars, we could also spot flags West Bond, Liberty, Lafayette, Garfield, Carrigain (East side of the tower), Field, Tom, Flume, Lincoln, and (we think) Eisenhower and Monroe! 😮 Visibility was great and counting South Twin we were able to spot a total of 16 flags, or 1/3! 8) South Twin has some of the best views of many 4000’ers!

MichaelJ

I saw, and photographed with the 300mm, Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty Flume, Bond, West Bond, and South Twin. I have the picture, but don’t see the flag in it, of Cannon. And I have some zoomed-in peak that I can’t identify.
                  🙂

TenPeaks

With my feable little 8X10 binoculars I could only confirm flags on Mt. Hale and Mt. Tom from the summit of Mt. Field. I think I may have seen the flag on S. Twin also. All the other peaks were too far away for me to make a visual confirmation.

pepsi
                      “Greg wrote:
                      Also with the naked eye, we could see flags on Hale, Zealand

Quote:

Yes, as many as I could see from Bondcliff and from up on Bond after the Bondcliff flag was up, Zealand was one of the most impressive to me. Seeing that flag over the treetops was amazing.Congratulations Dirt Girl and crew!!!

The caretaker from Guyot was on Bond and let us use his binoculars.

Dirt

The Wildcat D crew was able to spot flags on Carter Dome, Madison, Adams, and Washington, and I’m pretty sure I spotted one on either South or Middle Carter. Beautiful day, wonderful gathering at the Grill…it was nice to meet everyone there. :beer:

kickstand

@TenPeaks wrote:

With my feable little 8X10 binoculars I could only confirm flags on Mt. Hale and Mt. Tom from the summit of Mt. Field. I think I may have seen the flag on S. Twin also. All the other peaks were too far away for me to make a visual confirmation.

TenPeaks,

we were able to make out the flag on Jackson when we got down to Avalon. Couldn’t make out any others on the Presis, but we didn’t get to Avalon until about 2:00.

My wife and I met you up on Field. I was the guy with the 10×21 binoculars and grey bandana on.

pedxing

The weather was perfect and the loop through Avalon, Field, Willey and Tom was great. The spirit on the trail was excellent.

I was really impressed by the way FoT48 organized the event. The shirts (I bought one) and the pens were lots of fun. The folks we met up with at Mooseland were great. It was fun to see familiar faces and see the faces that come with some of the names I’ve gotten to know.

We weren’t at all happy with the Mooseland Grill. I’ve eaten there before and it’s been fine, but they were in no way prepared for us when we got there a little after six and a little grouchy about it. When we got there we were told the wait for a table was about 40 minutes and the wait for food would be about the same. It was a struggle to get something to drink. One of us left immediately. The other four were hungry and didn’t stay long either. I hope we have a different place next year or negotiate a different set-up with Mooseland.

Puck

Pedxing
                              Yea, they seemed overwhelmed. I spoke with Sherpa that night. He told me he was in Mooseland the night before and spoke with a waitress, she had no idea they were having this event.

For next year I would like to help with the planning of the post hike event. I was in the restaurant/hotel business for years. (Iwas at the Woodstock inn during thier first year.)

TenPeaks

The Mooseland seemed like a nice place, but I also got the impression they were not prepared for the amount of people that showed up. My friends and I stayed for about an hour and realized the chance of getting something for dinner there were pretty slim so we headed over to the Woodstock Inn for a quick bite before the ride home. It was great to meet all the other hikers and hear stories from the day.

KICKSTAND: Thanks again for letting me try your binoculars. I think it was with them that I (may have) seen the flag on S. Twin. I’ve got to get a more powerful and lighter set. Best of luck to you and your wife on your peak bagging adventures. Go Pats!!!

Alpinista

I’ll ditto the reaction to the Mooseland. They were certainly trying hard but they were clearly overwhelmed despite the repeated warnings of a huge group that would descend on them after the hike. I was with Sherpa the night before when we warned the waitress and she had no clue that the event was less than 24 hours away _ and had we not mentioned it to her, she hadn’t been on the sked to work the next night!

Perhaps the Woodstock Inn is the way to go next year?

:beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.