Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Summit Handouts?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
      #46766 |

I’ve been thinking about this since last year’s event. I know some people put together little signs with the mission statement, etc. along with their flag to describe the event. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to maybe provide handouts in the form of business cards, or something. Perhaps we can put together a template in MS Word and each peak supporter would be responsible for printing them out. We could use Avery Business Cards. They’re pretty reasonable, i.e. $14 for 250 cards. It just might be nice to have a way to communicate the URL so people can check out the pictures in the Flags gallery. My only concern would be folks littering the trails with these things…

Thoughts?

SilentCal

I could see where this could and can’t be useful. I think it stirctly depends on which mountain you decide to do. The summits that will have the most use for this are Cannon, Wildcat D and Washington due to the greater access of tourists via a tram or Auto-Road. I think it should all depend on the hiking party as to how they wish to communicate to others who happen by. I plan on laminating the mission statement and attaching it to the pole so people can read to understand more. I also want to have the time to spy around with my binoculars and see some other flags on summits. 😀

RichC

Last year on Mt Hale we handed out, on a small piece of paper, the mission statement from this website. We brought plenty enough to inform everone that summited. We invited everone to participate by holding the flagpole for a few minutes. The pole was never stayed down by rope, just humans who were every one thankful for the chance to experience the power of the event as well as the power of the wind as they held their nations flag atop the rock pile on Hale. My vote for handouts.

Little Bear

Last year I printed out the mission statement and laminated it so we could affix it to our packs. Once at the summit, we just placed our packs so that anyone who wanted to could read the mission statement. Handouts are a good idea, except then you have to worry about the wind carrying more than a few of them off and folks not interested in LNT just dropping them at the summit or along the trail.

MtnMagic

I do like Little Bears idea! Folks can read about what and why we are doing this without the possibility of litter. We could print out Frodo’s great words found http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=484&sid=ca7e3f69bbecfea4361c22cda716f7c6.

summit1

I like Little Bears idea. I am going to laminate the mission statement and zip tie it to the flag pole through a punched hole

rbhayes

Lat year we printed up some pages to hand out and placed them at the base of the flag – like the idea of laminating a few for people to read -w ill do that this year – thanks!

MtnMagic

Yes rb, Great idea! Laminate the following words by Frodo so people can read about it and LNT!
                    http://flags.alpinezone.com/history.htm

It’s all fitting together like a finished puzzle!

Greg

Agreed. Would it help to format this into a Word document or a PDF and make it available for download?

Max

I’m a little leery of passing out any paper to people who will surely ask us questions on Cannon, as I’m afraid of it just being tossed in the woods. I’ll print up Frodo’s statement or something similar and have it posted for folks to read. Good idea Little Bear!

Max

Greg

@Max wrote:

I’m a little leery of passing out any paper to people who will surely ask us questions on Cannon, as I’m afraid of it just being tossed in the woods.

This was my only concern too, and it’s inevitble that this will happen. We get enough negativity about this event already. I’ll work on a Word doc and PDF.

Greg

I took a slightly modified version of the History page and creating this PDF to be used as a sign along with your flags:

CLICK HERE

You will need the Adobe Reader installed to view it. You can download it here.

Lemme know what you think…

MichaelJ

Looks great, Greg! I like the idea of laminating (or a clear plastic folder) and attaching it to my pack. Good thinking, all!

Greg

Wanted to bump this so everyone has a chance to print out signs.
                                @Greg wrote:

CLICK HERE

You will need the Adobe Reader installed to view it. You can download it here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The topic ‘Summit Handouts?’ is closed to new replies.