Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Setting the Date (was: I’ll start)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I can certainly get some time off if we do it on the Wednesday, but I’m not sure everyone that wants to participate will be able to.

Also, aside from the fact that it may take time (overnight camps) to get folks positioned to hike the more isolated peaks by noon, let’s not forget about those who’ll need to travel to get into the Whites in the first place. I live in CT and will most likely want to stay up there a night or two. We should consider that as well.

However, I do like the idea of having a memorial hike on the exact date for all the reasons stated above.

Greg

On 2001-09-25 14:29, MMM wrote:
        Then I think this thread should be retitled “setting the date” or something, because I did not know it was exclusively for that purpose, as it hadn’t started out that way.

Mary – You’re right. This thread sort of evolved into the date discussion. I manually appended to the topic title (didn’t appear to screw anything up either – phew…) to better describe this thread’s theme. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh by suggesting using different threads for different topics. I’m just trying to keep the discussions as organized as possible. 😀

RJ

I’m sure the one’s who select the more remote peaks will take into account the travel and hiking time to achieve their goal. I will probably come up on the evening of the 10th so I can start early on the 11th if that is the date we ultimately select.

RJ

I must say as I reflect on which date would be the most appropriate, the more I tend to side with the 11th. My fear is that if we choose the 14th, our solemn event will turn into a media circus. I realize that by choosing the 11th some people might be excluded by circumstances beyond their control, but to me the act of raising a flag on a mountain to commemorate the victims of the WTC is a deeply personal one and must not be cheapened by others who might see this as an opportunity to further a cause.

To be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about even alerting the “media” to this event. If we do, which media outlets should be called? The way the media can turn any event, no matter how solemn, into a cheap tabloid spectacle has we worried. Gale mentioned something about school children being involved. I don’t mean to disagree with Gale, but the thought of a bunch of children parading up a mountain to raise a flag without even the smallest understanding of what it represents, send shivers down my back. Yes they may understand that people died on the 11th, but in no way do they have the emotional wherewithal to appreciate what we are trying to achieve. To them it’s a field trip, nothing more. Obviously if a parent is participating and wants to include their child, that is their choice, I would just caution against making children the major participants or the focus of the event.

Please understand, I do not wish to anger or upset anyone, all I am trying to say is that to me raising a flag on a mountain is extremely personal and should be treated with as much respect as one can muster. This event can easily get out of hand as the HJ discussion has proven, so I would like to caution everyone to keep their eye on the goal, which is namely a solemn event to commemorate our lost citizens.

[ This Message was edited by: RJ on 2001-09-26 12:50 ]

burg

I personally like the 11th, but ay day, really would be fine. If we initially decide on the 11th and as time goes on it appears that we can not get a sufficient committment, it could be changed. There is plenty of time. I would be happy to take two or more days off to do West Bond (who’s gonna do Owl’s Head? :smile:) or some peak that would be more easily done by backpacking. The other issue is a weather date. Maybe, due to the logistics, this would have to be done on one day only regardless of weather. I’m not sure, any thoughts?

Greg

On 2001-09-20 20:47, Frodo wrote:
                Sept 14, which is the National Remeberance Day for the tragedy.

Has this been officially announced or stated somewhere for 2002? I know 9/14 was a National Day of Mourning after the tragedy, but will it continue beyond this year?

Greg

In a 5 to 1 vote by the ‘committee’, it was decided the memorial hike date will be Saturday, September 14, 2002.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • The topic ‘Setting the Date (was: I’ll start)’ is closed to new replies.