Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Setting the Date (was: I’ll start)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
      #46702 |

Hi, My name is Spencer. I’m a Dartmouth Student, but i’m taking some time off… currently working as a forest ecologist in Ma.

I just started working on the NH48 not too long ago, but i’m about half done…I’ve been hiking in the whites for about 4 years, but i’m humbled by the knowledge of most of you.

More importantly, I think the idea for “Flags on 48” is terrific and meaningful, so i’m I’d like to be a part of it.

Spencer

HeadwallHunter

How about some details?

When?

Where?

Who?

Background Friends! Background!!!

Frodo

I just put the kids to sleep, now it is time to put some thoughts out for discussion. One of the first things that we need to decide on is a date. That might affect the name of our event, which in turn might affect the mission statement.
          Scenario 1. Memorial Day, which is a Holiday, and everyone will most likely have it off, which means lots of support. It also is a Day for Memorializing people who have died representing America. Someone mentioned the crowds on the trails, but personally, I think the more people who witness this event, the better. Some of the bad things are that it could be buggy. Also some of the trails could still have alittle snow, depending on the spring thaw.
          Scenario 2. Sept 14, which is the National Remeberance Day for the tragedy. The good thing is that it falls on a Saturday next year. It is also a great time of year to hike (no bugs/no snow, hopefully). I can’t think of any bad things about this day, other than there won’t be as many people viewing this as Memorial Day.
          Scenario 3. 9-11-2002, the actual anniversary. The good thing is that it actually is the proper day to do this. The bad thing is that it falls on a Wed. next year, which would be very tough for people to attend.
          Scenario 4. A day that we choose which has no significant meaning other than it is the day we will run the event.

giffordpinchot

I like the idea of Saturday, 9.14.02

hopefully there will be other awareness that day since it is set aside for that purpose…there will be more exposure…we want a lot of people to see the flags of 48…this isn’t supposed to be a hike for us where we can avoid crowds…

RJ

You all have valid points about which date would best represent our mission. I personally like 9/14/2002 for two reasons. First, it is the closest to the actual day. Second, that date being the National Remembrance Day would booster the awareness people would have to the mission since other communities throughout our Nation would also be hosting similar events memorializing the loss of our citizens. We have a year to plan this, so we are not going to solve all our logistic problems in one weekend. We all have a heightened sense of resolve at this moment, so after a little time and reflection, I believe we can reach an agreement on how best to proceed.

I will be gone until Monday, so I would like to discuss our options with Mary, Greg, and a few others who have expressed some interest in be part of the planning committee. This form was created so everyone can express open opinions and support for our mission.

To answer your question Head (wall) Hunter, next year a number of the hiking community will on a specific date (we are deciding that now) climb all 48 four thousand foot mountains in NH and display the American flag for an hour or two (another decision) to memorialize our fallen citizens who died in the World Trade Center. We will post all 48 mountains so hikers can then e-mail me or others (another decision) and I will put your name next to the mountain you wish to climb on that specific date. Our goal or mission is to have a hiker(s) on every four thousand foot mountain at 12:00noon of the date we choose to display the American flag and have a moment of silence to remember our fallen heroes.

Mike P.

I’ll do my best to keep both 09/11 & 09/14 open. I’ve planned 2004 Vacation Days already so 2002 should be easy. I think I lke the 09/11 date better as it will be less crowded & more of a memorial Vs. a media event.

HeadwallHunter

Well this sounds like a good idea any day we do it. (That means count me in, by the way) I like the 9/11 date obviously because it’s the actual anniversary, but we’ll have a lot more support on the 14th. (again, obviously) It also wouldn’t be a bad idea to do this on a completely random day to show that we don’t need to wait for a date on a calendar to tell us when we should display our patriotism.
                  Anyway, I’m just signing on to something that others have started, so I’ll go along with whatever is decided. Just let me know when and where I send my mountain choices.
                  Wow! To whoever thought of this: Great Idea!

Frodo

I also like the 14’th due to the fact that we would get alot more support if the event was held on a Saturday, compared to a Wednesday.

MMM

Some of the 48’s are more easily attained via backpacking trips, so maybe Saturday, Sept. 14th would work better logistically. People may be able to take a Friday off and hike in for the next day.

Frodo

I agree with Mary, there are many peaks that alot of people typically backpack to reach (Bondcliff, Bond, W. Bond, Owl’s Head, Isolation, ect..) To get people to take several days off during the middle of the week is a tough thing to do. We would get much more support if this was held on a weekend. And keep in mind what the goal is, “Flags on all the 48” if we fall short on a few peaks, we will fall short on our goal. Also the more people who view this, the better. This is not an isolated event for just a group of people who sign up, this is for all of the public to have a chance to participate and wittness.

RJ

Hi all:

I agree with both Robert and Mary that we should not be lead astray by the petty bickering in HJ. I originally liked the 9/14/02 date because it allowed more people to participate given that it is a weekend. However, 9/11/02 would be a good choice as well for two reasons. First, it is the actual date of the tragedy and that might be more appropriate. Second, by having it midweek (Wednesday) we avoid the criticism that we are taking over all the 48 mountains for the event. I doubt we will encounter too many hikers on a Wednesday in September. I will just take a vacation day for the event and I’m sure others can do the same. However, I can go either way on this one.

MMM

First, they are really scaring me over on HJ!

Second, I see a valid point for the Wednesday date, for both reasons stated by RJ. By using the actual anniversary date the event would be very powerful and meaningful. And because it’s a Wednesday we would really only attract people who are sincerely interested.

Third, what do you all think of this idea of raising flags from other nations?

Greg

On 2001-09-25 14:07, MMM wrote:
                              Third, what do you all think of this idea of raising flags from other nations?

Please try to post separate threads (which I did) for different issues. Otherwise we will get one long thread of unrelated topics. Thanks.

MMM

Then I think this thread should be retitled “setting the date” or something, because I did not know it was exclusively for that purpose, as it hadn’t started out that way.

RJ

The thing that I find the scariest is that I probably encountered several of the more vocal hikers at HJ on a trail or two this summer and didn’t know it. Thank goodness I didn’t say anything that might be considered controversial as I passed them.

When I first saw the post about flying a flag on one or two mountains to commemorate the anniversary of the WTC tragedy, I couldn’t fathom that anyone would actually object to such a selfless act. Gee, was I wrong!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • The topic ‘Setting the Date (was: I’ll start)’ is closed to new replies.