Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Planning Meeting Planning weekend 2005

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
      #47042 |

Just wanted to chime in and see if there is any interest in having a weekend gathering among the Flags crew. Last year we had a similar weekend and enjoyed some good food, conversation and hiking during the weekend. One night we’ll gather around the campfire and toss some ideas around. I’d nominate a weekend in Early June and at a campground with showers. any ideas?

Stephen

Ditto and ditto. I’m in. I’m happy to offer my services once again to the endeavor. Though I’d LOVE for some publicity minded person to step in and take over that role. Especially a good looking one… reporters respond better to cute people, and I ain’t one of those.

-Stephen

smitty77

@Stephen wrote:

…Especially a good looking one… reporters respond better to cute people, and I ain’t one of those.

Same here. 😀

I would be game for such an event, but something a little closer to home would be much better for me. I know the goal is to keep it in the Whites, but Mt. Monadnock is a much more do-able trip for me, it has a nice campground at the bottom, and I think they have shower facilities though I’m not certain. Great place to take a dayhike too.

Just my $0.02
          Smitty

Pucknuts

Moose Brook campground (near Appalacia) has some decent sites that enclose a “field” that could be used as a common area. Limited RV’s due to no cable TV hook-up.
            Plus it would be close enough to a lot of trails if anyone wants to hike. It has very reasonable rates and quarter showers!

bobandgeri

Umm – Pucknuts – No hookups at Moose Brook campground means that there are no electric, water and sewer connections for RV’s :>

Early June a lot of the private campgrounds with full services would probably be willing to give a group discount. Broken Branch KOA in Woodstock has a group rate of $9 per person for non-profit groups – we’d probably qualify there – they are very friendly and the campground very clean with warm bathrooms and showers.

SilentCal

Great to hear some replies! The more the better. It would be nice to make a weekend of it and do some group hiking since for the actual event we rarely hike together. We’ll give some more folks a chance to chime and see what they think. In terms of publicity, that’s a good question to toss around the campfire.

MtnMagic

Another super weekend of hiking, camping, cooking, conversations, campfires, meeting new and old friends. You bet I’m in!

ken

i would like to – if i can make it the weekend that you guys pick, i will be there.
                    @bobandgeri wrote:

Broken Branch KOA in Woodstock has a group rate of $9 per person for non-profit groups

$9 a night sounds good to me!

Mount Marcy
                    South Kinsman
                    Mount Marcy
                    2005???

MichaelJ

I’d definitely be up for a get-together like last year. Mind bug season when picking a time in June, of course. 😀

ken

@MichaelJ wrote:

Mind bug season when picking a time in June, of course.:D

good thinking – sometime before Memorial Day (bug season) would be better – mid-May should be bug-less.

Mount Marcy
                        South Kinsman
                        Mount Marcy
                        2005???

Frodo

I would be up for a planning meeting in early to mid-May. I love being above treeline in winter, but I am wimp when it comes to bugs…

ken

@Frodo wrote:

I am wimp when it comes to bugs…

me too… that is why they make “bugnets” – wearing one is better than looking like you caught “chickenpox” when you get back.

SilentCal

Mothers day weekend is an obvious no-no. So is Memorial day.

That leaves the weekend of May 15th, May 22nd or June 5th. I’d like to have as much of the steering commitee there as we can, and the many folks who participate. As for locations, How about about Broken Branch that Bobandgeri suggested. It’s not far from the highway and as a group rate it’s pretty cheap and near some nifty hiking spots.

Also I don’t mind mailing out a snail mail invite to all who participated last year. Not everyone checks the site regularly and I think it looks more orgainized if we try to at least reach everyone who takes part.

Chris

I agree on the bugs, and getting out early rather than later will help us family guys with actually getting into the woods. I think May 21-22 is a good compromise, the weather is reasonable, the bugs haven’t hatched yet, and it’s not Memorial Day weekend.

I think picking a date as early as possible will assure the best participation, since calendars fill up very quickly during the warm weather…

ken

I agree on the bugs…I think May 21-22 is a good compromise

How about about Broken Branch that Bobandgeri suggested.

both the above suggestions sound good…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • The forum ‘2005 Planning Meeting’ is closed to new topics and replies.