Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
      #47010 |

:flag: This was my (our) first year doing the FOT48 and we found out about the event from hike-nh.com (Thanks Chris and Rob!)
      While I work in the defense industry and have many coworkers in Iraq right now, and Jeff is a HUGE supporter and donator to the Red Cross, both of us were driven by my 13 year old son to take action and do something in support of the day. In the end I think each of us did it for our own personal reasons (but I’m sure we’ll all share our stories with our co-workers and school friends).
      We had an incredible feeling of pride all day long and it was well worth it even if we did have to hike out in the dark (had to finish the loop…..couldn’t resist).

We were very lucky that Lincoln became available during the final week as neither Jeff or I had been on this ridge for a few years and my son, Nick, has only done a few peak hikes.
      We did have a couple of problems 😳 , mostly in the way of estimating our ascent time using the Falling Waters trail (the trail was steeper than expected and then there were those darn brook crossings!), so we didn’t hit the summit until just after 12….then it took us a little while to assemble the pole, but we did manage it and kept it flying until after 3:30.
      Jeff brought his looooong distance binoculars and we were able to pick out a number of flags. Unfortunately the Presidentials were obscured and we could only make out flags on some of the Southern peaks.
      We had quite a few hikers thank us….and we directed a few more to this web site to make them aware of the event and to sign up for next year, or to see the pictures from this year. I’ll be posting some as soon as I get them.

Also, we promise not to be strangers and will make it to Mooseland next year. We didn’t know about the post gathering even until it was too late. :beer:

If anyone knows where we can get T-shirts or the name tags, I would greatly appreciate it…I need to order 3 of each.

I’d also like to thank everyone that organized this event and participated. I haven’t felt this good in years!
      Bill, Jeff, and the slave driver, Nick!

Greg

We kept an eye on Lincoln and were happy to see it raised. Nice job!

Brownie

Wow! We had a huge crowd on the Lincoln ridge. I talked with a ranger up there who had a counter, last checked at the end of the day he had 401 passer-bys, most he said he has ever seen!

Thanks to Nicky I made the trip!
          That little hobo wanderer sure can hike. We gotta weight him down next year!

I have to say that this group effort was indeed a fine example and tribute to our American heritage. Thanks to all for carrying the spirit.

Many people asked what it was all about on the summit, everyone asked what the PVC pipes were for on the trail.

But my hat and heart goes out to the soldier who carried a flag on his pack over the entire Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette ridge.
          He had come back from Iraq with the very flag that flew on an Army established base in Kabul for months. Indeed, the flag looked of a harsh sand stormed, weather beaten and war torn journey.
          He said he carried it for his buddies still over there.
          “it was the least he could do for them”

I’ll plan to be a part of this group effort for FOT48 for years to come.
          Hope to meet more of the group next year.

Meanwhile, just proud to be an American.

Brownie, (Jeff)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘2004 Summit Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.