Forums 2006 Flags on the 48 2006 Signups & Status 2007 signups

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

@dirt_girl wrote:

I am passionately against any pre-registration or peak reservation other than what was currently established prior to this years event!
      Except, I would completely eliminate the reservation of peaks for Boy Scouts also…

dirt_girl

I attended a Boy Scout jamboree in Mass when I was a scout. There were over 200 Troops in attendence. I see the number of peaks taken by scouts increasing each year. If this trend continues a high percentage of peaks could be taken in pre-registration which could frustrate others.

MtnMagic

I agree with dirt_girl and Mtnpa. No pre-registration with a scout/veteran/police/firemen and all groups on every peak and hikers, too. Flags flying from other countries! Flags on the 115, and some day in the future the 770 3k’ and above. Some Day!!
        😀

SilentCal

Obviously this is something that we’ll focus on during next years meeting. Most people are in favor of no pre-registrations for any group. I can see the logic behind it and it’s quite valid. However for the alternate access peaks(Cannon Washington and Wildcat) I still think it’s a good idea to provide non-hikers and injured hikers a chance to participate.

As for expanding to the 115 and the 770 3’k s, MtnMagic your more than welcome to organize it. 48 is tough enough.

Jaytrek57

I’m in favor of having a set number of peaks (say 3-4) reserved each year for youth groups.

This addresses people’s valid concerns that someday there are 48+ youth groups taking over FOT48. :flag:

It also, IMHO, keeps us flexiable in our approach and not shackled to a “black & white” policy.

This event is about particapation…NOT about what peak “you” have. The more creative ways we can develope to get more people involved the better.

It might just be me…but IMHO…this year we are lacking in “new” people. Just a concern.

Should be quite the planning meeting.

Peace.

MtnMagic

Cal, I live a life of optimism. In NYC and other cities there is nowhere to go but up. FOT48 too!

Jay, I met a lot of new people at the planning weekend and I see a lot of new folks that have signed up flying flags.

P.S. Please deeply study your board game for the event weekend!

SherpaKroto

A bit off topic, but I was certainly happy that I was allowed to pick Wildcat “D” this year. I still can’t hike from my 03/19 ski accident, but really wanted to be part of this event again this year. Thanks to the organizers for letting me cover Wildcat “D”. Next year, I hope to be able to take one that I have to climb.

SherpaK

SilentCal

Sherpa, it’s great to have you. I’m sure you’ll do Wildcat proud and that we’ll see you cruising the peaks again really soon.

:flag:

MtnMagic

SK, Great that you can join in.

“Never throw in the towel,” my friend!
                    :beer:

ken

>>This event is about particapation…NOT about what peak “you” have. <<
                      so far i have been reading about scouts & physically challenged – – what if a relative of a victim heard about this and wanted to fly thier own flag on a certain peak – would you let that person have a special peak???

MtnMagic

@ken wrote:

…what if a relative of a victim heard about this and wanted to fly thier own flag on a certain peak – would you let that person have a special peak???

“Anyone can fly any flag on any peak,” is my personnal feeling. Although 10 in 1 group is encouraged as per lnt principles.

The steering committe discussed this in detail earlier this year and made a determination. I’m not on the committee, so I’ll let them answer.

Jaytrek57

Ken,

Excellent question.

I guess my answer is we have been fortunate that we have been able to address the few requests, before the sign-ups, on a case by case basis.

Going to be a great planning meeting.

Peace.

SilentCal

Jaytrek is correct, We handled every request as a case by case basis. Someone on the steering committee made this defining comment: “You can never please everybody.”. This is so very true. I think we’ve got a great group of people on the committee that want this event to stay in it’s grassroots mold. Each request was posted for debate and debate we did. Some were no-brainers, some we had a good logic debate over. All in all, I think that we, as a steering committe, need to come up with guidelines for requests. Requests like Ken’s are something that are unique in nature and we should be ready to act upon them within a reasonable timeframe. For me, I think the goal we should be aiming for is participation and keeping it a memorial.

Thanks for your question Ken!

New Hampshire

@SilentCal wrote:

As for expanding to the 115 and the 770 3’k s, MtnMagic your more than welcome to organize it. 48 is tough enough.

Call me naive, but if it is expanded to the 115’s 770 3’ks and so on, can it no longer be considered “Flags on the 48!” Expanding the scope of the FOT48 hike to have people fly other flags other than Old Glory, and dedicating peaks to certain people is one thing. But as far as Im concerned flying American Flags from every nook and cranny of the White Mountains would turn this more into a grandstanding publicity stunt than what it was intended for….a memorial hike. JMHO

Brian

MtnMagic

There is No Where To Go but Up !!

Let us remember this and see what happens in 5, 10, 20, & 30 years from now. I see into the future! Woo-hoo!!
                                :flag:

New Hampshire

Finding enough motivated individuals to cover even some of the 48 peaks is apparently tough enough….how can you expect to find 770 individuals, some who would have to whck through some of the nastiest stuff in all the mountains for hours on end, to fly a flag that most likely will not penetrate the tree canopy, all so they can come out looking like a bear attack victim?

McDonalds started as a family food chain. They grew within their confines of burgers. They did not branch out into sushi, Chinese food, pizza and fried chicken. Flags on the 48 means the 48.

Need I say more?

Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                                • The forum ‘2006 Signups & Status’ is closed to new topics and replies.