Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion 2005 Flags on the 48

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
      #47031 |

Which Saturday should we do, the one before or the one after?

-Stephen :flag:

Greg

Is Sunday, September 11, 2005 a possibility?

Jaytrek57

I vote Sunday, September 11, 2005.

Stephen

That would eliminate my participation. Church comes first in my family.

The poll has been restarted with Sunday 9/11 added.

-Stephen

Jaytrek57

Well then again…

I vote Saturday September 10, 2005. :flag:

Any day works for me. :flag:

MichaelJ

Whatever does not conflict with the VFTT Gathering. We gain a lot of hikers by avoiding that weekend, which is set around Darren’s birthday.

rbhayes

The most appropriate date is Sunday the 11th. I think that we saw so many more hikers out this year because it was in the 11th.

SilentCal

I was wonderering this too. Either the 10th or 11th is okay with me. I’d lean towards the 11th and then when the 11th falls during the week we keep FOT48 on the closest saturday to the 11th. Having it on Sunday may curtail people’s plans to attend any after-event gathering we have.

ada4001

Saturday is the better choice. Sunday would
                      make it harder for some including me.
                      We should leave it the saturday closest to the 11 some years it will acturally be on the 11.

Isolation-2004 :flag:

Frodo

I also vote for Sunday, September 11th. I think that it is more appropriate to have it on the actual day whenever possible, and on the closest Saturday whenever the 11th falls on a weekday.

When we first organized this event, we spent a lot of time debating this very subject (see the old threads), and even came close to going with the actual day, regardless of what day of the week it fell on, which is clearly not practical…

MtnMagic

I agree to either day, though I like the idea of the flag on the 11th. It seems more people are able to hike on Saturdays. Also I realize less people may not be able to hike on Sunday and/or be able to attend the get together Sunday night.

A thought: Groups flying flags on summits Saturday and Sunday. A weekend memorial!

Stephen

@MtnMagic wrote:

A thought: Groups flying flags on summits Saturday and Sunday. A weekend memorial!

WOW! I think this is a SWEET idea. Do a memorial on both days. It opens it up for more people to participate. Some folks could even cover one peak one day and another peak the other day.

What about the get-together? I’d reccomend Saturday night. That way those hiking on Saturday and those hiking the next day can gather for one evening party.

You may be on to something here! Any other thoughts on this?

-Stephen

Greg

Personally, I feel the emphasis should be placed on when it makes the most sense to hold the memorial itself, not how it will affect the post-event gathering. I also feel that flying flags on two days may be difficult to coordinate. I think we should keep it simple and have one special day for it. Just my opinion…

MtnMagic

Yes, that way those of us that can only hike Saturday can fly a flag, meet at the get together and the same or different groups can fly flags on Sunday.

Please add your thoughts.

What a sensational news worthy weekend memorial event that could be known globally!

Stephen

@Greg wrote:

Personally, I feel the emphasis should be placed on when it makes the most sense to hold the memorial itself, not how it will affect the post-event gathering. I also feel that flying flags on two days may be difficult to coordinate. I think we should keep it simple and have one special day for it. Just my opinion…

I actually believe that it would not add a significant amount to the coordination.

1) It allows for more than one party to cover the same peak.

There are some groups that would like specific peaks, either for personal or “list” reasons. The 2-day solution would cover both.

2) Many hikers spend more than one day in the mountains.

I believe that the number of hikers participating on both days would be high, maybe even over 50%.

3) We had more than one team at a number of peaks.

We could spread these out over two days as well.

4) Each year generates a few more participants.

I am already recieving e-mails from new hikers interested in next year’s event.

5) Publicity was low this year.

And yet we still covered all the peaks. Increase coverage early on with a strong call for more hikers for the two days would likely garner enough support.

6) Two days increases participation.

There are those that cannot participate on Sunday hikes (like me), and those who do 9/11 specific events (like Ken with Cops on Tops). Having the two day event will draw more hikers who can only do one day or the other.

7) A better defined registration plan can alleviate signup confusion.

We have about 9 months to develop and deploy a registration system that is fair and inclusive, as well as automated and simple. I’m certainly up for the challenge.

-Stephen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • The topic ‘2005 Flags on the 48’ is closed to new replies.