Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion 2005 Flags on the 48

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

The emphasis is about which day one can hike to their chosen summit. Some people just can’t hike on Sundays for many reasons, I’ve discovered this all my life. E.g those that live many hours drive out of state and have personnal tasks to finish before work Monday morning.

Stephen’s points above are well taken, noted, and I for one completely agree. I’m willing to take on more involvement. Next year is a special year, our 4th, one that we can take advantage of the dates by flying flags on two days — a weekend memorial! We are now experienced and I’m certainly not worried about hiking on either or both days. I want to fly flags on the 48… and beyond!

Pucknuts

I am a bit of a traditionalist and voted for the 11th in order to keep in mind the reason we do this.
        However, I do like the idea of 2 days for 2005 especially since it would be a Saturday/Sunday and participants could do 1 or 2 peaks.
        I think we’d have to look at each year as it comes up and decide which day would be best.
        Keep in mind that if we do 2 days, then there would be 2 sets of pictures…..2 trip reports….maybe even 2 post gathering events….so that’s my 2 cents.
        😀

MtnMagic

About the same thoughts as most of us.

I like two days of hiking to fly flags on the 48!

Jaytrek57

I would prefer just one day…and lean towards whenever the 11th falls on. In 2006 9/11 is on a Monday…do we then do three days?

I understand the rationale for making it a Saturday event. However, and perhaps it just me, with a little prior planning (and you have a years to do so) taking a week-day or two off to do FTO48 is not impossible. Yes…I know “everyone” is different…with different obligations, commitments and what-not…however….this holds true for all days…..ah hell…little hard to explain.

Let me try this. If this event was on a Wednesday…I’d be there…and from what I have seen on this board, on the peaks and at the Mooseland…I would wager a T-shirt most would be there as well.

Perhaps not a T-shirt…their collector items. 😉

Just some thoughts.

Peace. :flag:

Greg

I agree with Jaytrek, especially since 9/11 still fails on a weekend next year. Also, I think a flag-flying weekend will add unneeded pressure to cover all 48 peaks on both days. I don’t think flying flags on 37 peaks one day and 42 peaks the next is as special as flying flags on all 48 peaks on 9/11…

Also, is it possible that this year was so successful, without any media coverage, because it was held on 9/11?

Finally, can we agree that 9/17/2005 is too far removed from 9/11 to really make sense? If so, I feel the only democratic way to resolve this is to poll it out.

Stephen

@Greg wrote:

Finally, can we agree that 9/17/2005 is too far removed from 9/11 to really make sense? If so, I feel the only democratic way to resolve this is to poll it out.

The important thing is what question to ask. I see a few categories of people:

-Cannot hike on a particular day
                -Prefer 9/11 over traditional Saturday
                -Desire a 2-day event

I’m thinking something along this line:

What is your preference for 2005 FOT48?

Saturday, because I cannot hike on Sunday
                Saturday, but I could do Sunday instead
                Sunday, because I cannot hike on Saturday
                Sunday, but I can do Saturday instead
                Both days, I’d like to see a 2-day event

MichaelJ

I think only one day is appropriate, although anyone is welcome to fly a flag on their own on any summit at any time of any day. My preference is 9/11 for 2005. The question for the future is: how much do we allow the availability of hikers to affect the memorial? It’s a “9/11 Memorial Hike” … without hikers, it’s not much of a hike. Too far from 9/11, and its meaning is diminished.

Personally, I like the weekend because I come up the night before and stay the night after. I may even backpack again for the day before. But even if it were only a day trip, many people just don’t have that kind of vacation time available to them to take the day off. This is important not only for the participants carrying the flags up, but for those other hikers going up to witness the flags, who want to see the memorial.

And … school will have just started. A weekday will rule out attendance by anyone of school age.

With respect to my comment about keeping it nonconflicting with the VFTT Gathering, obviously the 11th is the 11th. It’s just that if we were choosing between the weekend before and the weekend after, a 50:50 decision, then keep VFTT’s weekend in mind.

Greg

@Stephen wrote:

I’m thinking something along this line:

What is your preference for 2005 FOT48?

This seems to cover all options.

MtnMagic

Yes, use this for a poll.

I’d like to see a two day event!!

Stephen

Done. This thread will be locked in preference for the new poll.

-Stephen

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • The topic ‘2005 Flags on the 48’ is closed to new replies.