Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Why not make it the top 50?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
      #46712 |

💡 I just happened across this forum, and I’m not trying to steal your thunder. To anyone outside the hiking community, the NH 48 mean little. It may make sense to include Sandwich Dome and the Bulge (too bad the Horn wasn’t taller!) and make it a “patriotic” 50 summits.

Just a thought.

In any event, I would like to be part of this remembrance.
      SherpaKroto

Frodo

Geat idea, but we still need alot of support just to be able to accomplish the 48. If we get an overwealming amount of support, then I am all for expanding to 50. I also don’t think that last 2 have to be official NE100 highest peaks. It could be whatever people are willing to do. I would love to see a flag on Guyot, one of the most spectacular/underrated peaks in the whites.

SherpaKroto

If you go with Guyot (I agree 100% with your sentiment of its worth), then I’d say Mt Hight should be the other one (although for visibility, Chocorua, Monadnock, Cardigan and Kearsarge North could get votes). If you stay with the 100 highest theme, then its Sandwich Dome and the Bulge. I think you’d get interest on Sandwich. but I’d guess the Bulge not on anyone’s top 10 list for a choice. I’m in, and would love to have Wildcat “A”. We’ve reserved 9/5-8 in BSP so there would be no conflicts with this event, which we plan to participate in (thanks again for the reminder). Once the website is up, I will send the link to the folks that I hike with. My guess – you will have no problem getting to 48 for this day!

I have a question – where will the flags come from? – SherpaKroto

Greg

We should define pretty quickly whether we go with just the 48 4000’ers or expand it to cover other peaks. This will define the title of the event, mision statement, Web site, URL, etc…

Frodo

I vote that we keep with our original plan and concentrate on the 48, only because it is going to be very difficuilt just to get enough support to do the 48, let alone 50. Also, the 48 is a defined list. If we go with the 50 highest, as Sherpa Kroto pointed out, who is going to want to support the Bulge? We still need to have some people support Waumbec, Zealand, ect. And even in a few months, if we do have overwelming support, we could always just add 2 peaks, and just keep the website URL as is. I think we would have a worse situation if we expanded to 50 now, and then had to scale back to 48 later.

Mike P.

I like the idea of 50 but I recall either here or on other boards that some of us visit; some people wanted to see other countries represented also as many people from many nations died & it was the WTC not USTC.

The day should be more of remembrance of those lost, friends, co-workers, family, people we did not know, etc instead of just a USA Day.

I don’t have exact number of countries where people died but I think it was near 60 countries. Instead of doing next two lower peaks, you could adopt Trailwrights list so all your destination would all be over 4,000 & many people would be able to see each other on all the points on Adams, The Wildcat crew would have neighbors on all the peaks & could walk back & forth to make up for not seeing each other & Guyot would be able to see 2/3 of Bonds + South Twin

While a majority of people were from NY, CT & NJ, 9/11 touched the entire world.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The topic ‘Why not make it the top 50?’ is closed to new replies.