Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Planning Meeting Updated History Page ??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
      #47066 |

I posted this in General Discussion but think this may be a better place for it as everyone seems to be looking in here for the latest news. I think more and more people will be checking out this web site and the history is an important element of this event. I expect as much input as necessary to make this a collective history. MichaelJ, Thanks. Your ideas were great… the changes you suggested have already been made… A 2005 closer??? Anyone?
      dirt_girl
      :flag:
      UPDATED HISTORY:

The “Flags on the 48” event was established in response to the horrific terrorist attacks that took place in the United States on September 11, 2001.

Three days after the attacks several regular on-line users of the AMC Hiker Journal message forum, banded together and planned a hike the following day, intent on raising the largest American flag they could find from the summit of Mt. Liberty.

On September 15, 2001, these six hikers met at the White House Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape and a wealth of pride and determination. A slight gesture of compassion for such a horrendous loss, the American flag was raised on the summit of Mt. Liberty, paying tribute to the thousands of innocent people who perished in the attacks. This patriotic display received such tremendous amounts of positive feedback that a committee was formed to establish a larger, annual memorial. The “Flags on the 48” was given life.

On September 14, 2002 and again on September 13, 2003, several hundred patriotic and impassioned hikers embarked on a collective journey to raise American flags on all 48 of the 4,000+ foot summits in New Hampshire. This tribute to the sacrifice of life and our strength of unity as a nation, remains small in the scope of the enormity of all that has been lost. What began as a small tribute had gained tremendous support and involvement.

On September 11, 2004, for the first time in the history of the event, all 48 of the 4000+ summits hosted Old Glory! She was carried to the peaks by dedicated bands of hikers wishing to pay their respects to all the families and communities that grieve the ultimate and tragic loss of innocent lives. As a community we also carry in our hearts a heavy debt to the men and women who have unselfishly served and sacrificed to preserve our liberty.

On September 11, 2005, in solemn remembrance and with humble gratitude, we hope the American flag will again be unfurled from all 48 of the 4000+ summits.
      From every mountain top, let freedom ring.

SilentCal

Good work! We should have you add a blip every year.. :flag:

Frodo

Awesome job with the editing!

My only comment would be to add line spaces between paragraphs.

Well done :beer:

Jaytrek57

It looks great!

Just my “style” comments. BTW…It looks fantastic as is…just my $.02 as all.

Replace America, with the United States.

Remove “horrific” from the first sentence. Terrorist acts are by definition “horrific”…plus it is used again further down.

She was carried to the peaks by dedicated bands of hikers wishing to pay their respects to the all the families and communities that grieve the ultimate and tragic loss of innocent lives.

Typo. “the” all the families. Remove “the”.

dirt_girl

Good eyes, fine ideas and kind words, Thank you Gentlemen. 😀
              Some of the changes have been made.
              I kinda like horrific in the first sentence.
              A little redundant but a powerful reminder.
              Catastrophic sounded to comic bookish.
              I kept banded together as opposed to joined together for a similar reason.
              The words strike me as more powerful… envoking images.
              I could be wrong…it’s happened before. 😳

Please keep the ideas coming :flag:
              dirt_girl

dirt_girl

Alright, it’s been fairly quiet on this subject so I think if the updated history is acceptable, it should be placed on the web site history page.
                Frodo? Stephen? What do you think?
                dirt_girl

SilentCal

I think it’s very good! We need to keep that photo of the Orginal Flag on Mt. Liberty there too! Frodo, were there any other photo’s of that flag taken that day?

Frodo

dirt_girl, I think you did a fantastic job with the editing and we should take your latest draft and update the history page. Stephen, can you do this?

SilentCal, I have lots of pics from that day, but most are people shots. The photo that is currently there is a well representative picture of the day.

Stephen

The history page is updated.

-Stephen

dirt_girl

💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡 💡
                        Nice work everyone!! Thank you!!

I really like the dates in the bold print… nice touch.

dirt_girl

pepsi

It looks and reads great!! :beer:

Is it time to update the date on the home page yet or is that going to be when sign-ups start?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘2005 Planning Meeting’ is closed to new topics and replies.