Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion The name of the event

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
      #46705 |

We need to decide on an official name for the event. So far we have been calling it “Flags of the 48”, which has a nice ring to it, but doesn’t include any referance to what the memorial hike is really for. “Flags of the 48, 9-11 memorial hike”? “Flags of the 48 memorial hike”? “The sept 11 memorial hike”? I am just throwing out suggestions. We should try to get as many as possible and then try decide on one.

Greg

I like “Flags on the 48: A September 11 Memorial Hike”

A little long but I think it gets the point across well.

giffordpinchot

I like Greg’s, but here’s another suggestion…”Flags on the 48: Remembering September 11th”

MMM

How about “From Every Mountain Top: 9-11 Memorial Hike”. This may give us some flexibility in case we don’t make our goal of 48, or to remove the association with the peak baggers.

giffordpinchot

yes, i like avoiding the peakbagging thing…yes, i say let’s go with it…

HeadwallHunter

Well, before you go picking a name based on two votes, I’d like to cast my vote for “Flags of the 48”. It’s catchy, has a nice ring to it, and it sounds official. Plus, it’s exactly what we’re doing! We’re putting a FLAG……on all 48…..peaks. Very few people will associate this event with peakbagging. I consider myself a peakbagger and it didn’t even cross my mind until somebody mentioned it.

You know what, now that I’ve finished putting my two cents in, something else comes to mind. In light of the events that prompted this future memorial, arguing over a name for it seems kind of trivial, doesn’t it? Just forget you read my previous paragraph. Whatever is decided will be fine.

giffordpinchot

that’s part of the reason i said let’s just go with it…as long as it is short and to the point, the name doesn’t matter all that much…

IMHO we should move on

Greg

Sorry I’ve been away for so long – just unbelievably busy. I don’t think this is ‘arguing’ as much as it is ‘discussing’ or ‘debating’. Also, I think there is some importance to the name of the event, especially in terms of the Web site, this forum, and spreading the word. Therefore, personally I don’t think we should brush this point off so soon.

With that said, I think we can agree that the name will take on two parts. The second part has consistently been some variation of “A September 11th Memorial Hike”. If we can achieve a consensus on that, the only portion to ‘vote’ on would be whether we go with:

• “Flags on the 48”, or
                    • From Every Mountain Top”

Assuming there are no other suggestions, I prefer “Flags on the 48” as I feel it best describes the event. My feeling is the ‘committee’ should vote on this as we’ve done on the other topics. Thoughts?

RJ

I have to admit I’m slightly bias since I originally coined the phrase “Flags on the 48” in my initial e-mail to AlpineZone asking for web space. To be honest, I just used the term as a catch phrase and was never expecting to use it as the official slogan. However, since it has become part of the “Public Domain” so to speak, I vote we continue to use it.

Frodo

After much thought, I like “Flags of the 48, a Sept 11 memorial hike” It covers it all, and it is not too long.

burg

Actually, I think I coined the phrase “Flags on the 48” in a post on the AMC Bulletin. But, whatever, I like it the best regardless of who came up with it. It gets my vote.

RJ

I don’t wish to quibble, but I did a search and my post offering my services to the committee and where I use the term “Flags on the 48” for the first time appears on Sept 20th, your message suggesting that we use the phrase “Flags on the 48” as the official slogan appears on Sept 24th.

However, the idea to fly a flag on all 48 peaks was NOT my idea. I ‘m not sure who exactly make the suggestion, but that person really deserves the credit for getting this event started.

I just did another search and “Ken” on Sept 18th first suggested that we put a flag on all 48 peaks.

[ This Message was edited by: RJ on 2001-10-18 13:13 ]

Gravity

Hey – this forum was now the inspiration for another similar effort. Was talking to a friend back in my old home of Colorado, he is an avid climber. I mentioned this flag raising, and he thought it would be great to do in CO! There are 54 14’ers there, and he talked to his climbing club and they want in! He is talking to friends in Utah, New Mexico and Wyoming too – maybe those states will start such an effort.

Incidentally, after I heard that I tried to convince him he really needed to summit all the 13’ers and above . . . which there are several hundred of there, but couldn’t get him to bite on that! 🙂

giffordpinchot

I too think we should continue with “Flags on the 48” to avoid confusion. I think it’s general enough that we don’t need to squabble over who said it first…no disrespect intended to whomever that individual was…

spencer

however, mention of the few of you who got this rolling might be nice…

Greg

Okay – well, I have a poll set up HERE for voting on this issue. It’s kind of a lame script. The problem with this system is we can only run one poll at a time, but it will get us by for now, until the new version of phpBB with poll capabilities is released – whenever that is.

Should we have a poll about how long to run the polls? 😮 For now – we’ll let this one run until the end of the month. Vote now!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • The topic ‘The name of the event’ is closed to new replies.