Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion The Mission Statement

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

We do need to get the LNT message out there. Since 09/11 I’ve been across Franconia Ridge & to Bear & Round in CT. On 9/29, Flags on Lincoln & Flume. Lincoln may have been removed as many people close by (imagine that on a Saturday with foliage) Flume’s flag had been there a while based on the shape it was in.

Last Friday on Bear, another Flag was left for sometime as it was tattered.

Regardless of nationality or country, as people who enjoy the outdoors, we need to remember to LNT. The Patriotism is great especially when impromptu, I suspect in a mass demonstration as planned here we will be held to the LNT ethic more stringently than the casual non-organized show of patriotism.

Let’s show that we are proud of our way of life, politicaly & as hikers & backpackers.

Frodo

Great job RJ, I have no problems with your last revision.

Frodo

Mike P.
          As for Leave no trace, that will be one of the main things emphasised in this event. NO FLAGS, or any other flag paraphernalia, will be intentionally left behind. I have also been hiking quite a bit since Sept 11 (Mt Liberty, Mt Adams, Mt Katahdin, and N. and S. Twin, and I only witnessed flags that were left behind on Katahdin. I think that you either had bad luck or that I had good luck, but I think that most hikers know that leaving anything behind is a bad thing. I can assure you that LNT will be highly emphasised, next Sept 14th.

RJ

I believe the Mission Statement has been tweaked to its fullest potential, so I am locking it down. If anyone has any major objections, please feel free to e-mail me.

Greg

I reopened this discussion as I had a few comments on the mission statement now that we’re a bit closer to the event. I feel it’s a bit wordy, and made suggestions in red bold below:

“On September 11th, 2001 the consciousness of United States of America was inexorably altered by an unprovoked and unjustifiable act of terrorism so far reaching in its scope, that our country will not soon heal from this wound[delete]. Thousands of innocent lives were lost in a fleeting moment as families still try to piece together their shattered lives and return to some semblance of normalcy.

We in the hiking community would like to honor those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire on Saturday, September 14, 2002, in conjunction with the observance of National Remembrance Day. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond [delete] comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.”

Thoughts?

Greg

No further comments so I’m considering the mission statement as final. Locking thread.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • The topic ‘The Mission Statement’ is closed to new replies.