Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Site Redesign/Registration forms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
      #46845 |

How do we spruce up the site?

What information is necessary in the registration form? (This is partially dependent upon what peak assignment process is decided on.)

Greg

I’m all over this. Feel free to post some ideas here and I’ll implement…

SilentCal

I agreed with hiding people’s email address. But how about a question on the sign-up sheet asking if they would like to be e-mailed with a reminder for next year. Then we could save the addresses, and two weeks before sign-ups open drop a note to everyone reminding them of signups. Not everyone goes to the site and takes part and this would help us with reaching those hikers.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else that we have not done before.

Stephen

@SilentCal wrote:

I agreed with hiding people’s email address. But how about a question on the sign-up sheet asking if they would like to be e-mailed with a reminder for next year. Then we could save the addresses, and two weeks before sign-ups open drop a note to everyone reminding them of signups. Not everyone goes to the site and takes part and this would help us with reaching those hikers.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else that we have not done before.

Given that… I think it will be ok to e-mail last year’s participants, but with a “leave me alone” option in the e-mail.

-Stephen

SilentCal

That works. Plus it would help if we decide to send an e-mail thank-you to everyone

Stephen

Given FCFS from the assignment thread, the form should be fairly straightforward and simple.

Greg, if you could design the basic form, I’ll take it and PHP it with the necessary scripts and variables for the registration system.

-Stephen

Stephen

This has advanced well. The registration system is functionally done. The appearance will change with the redesign, which is well underway.

If you’d like to give it a spin, please PM me and I’ll send you the link. I don’t want to make this link public, since it is not the official “live” registration yet.

-Stephen

Stephen

OK, here is how the new registration system currently works:

User visits the sign-up page. Fields are:

Name: (required)
                    E-mail: (required)
                    Remain Anonymous? (user can check off if they don’t want name displayed)
                    Other Hikers: (optional)
                    Comments: (optional)
                    Available Peaks: (required)

Next to available peaks is a drop down that only lists peaks that have not been taken.

Upon hitting register, required info is checked, and, if missing, user is prompted to enter it. (Note, any info already entered does not need to be re-entered).

Once all data is entered, the system checks again to make sure the peak is still available. This is to prevent multiple users loading the page at the same time, then both submitting. One will pass, the other will fail. First come, first served. If the peak has been taken, they will be requested to choose another. Again, all info already entered will not need to be reentered.

Finally. if everything has passed to this point, then the user will be recorded in the table. The public peaks list will display the user’s name and the “other hikers”, but not the comments nor their e-mail address. If the user indicated “Anonymous”, then both the user’s name and the other hikers will be replaced with “Anonymous”.

The user will then see a confirmation page, which will forward them to the main FOT48 site after 30 seconds. The system will also send a confirmation E-mail to me, Greg and the user indicating user’s name, other hikers, chosen peak, and comments:

@FOT48 wrote:

Date: 6/19/2004 23:06:06 -0400
                    Reply-to: FOT48 Admin Team
                    To: contact@alpinezone.com, flags04@flagsonthe48.org, stephen@dunhom.com
                    Subject: The8re has registered for FOT48-2004!

The8re has registered to hike Waumbek for FOT48-2004.

Also hiking will be:
                    John, Paul, Ringo, George

Comments are:
                    To sit in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock…

Be sure to visit http://forums.flagsonthe48.org for more information on the upcoming hike!

Sincerely,

Stephen
                    and the rest of the FOT48 Admin Team.

Note: This has been an automated response from the registration page at https://www.flagsonthe48.org
                    You may reply to this e-mail if you have questions about FOT48-2004.

Finally, there is a “private” peak list that will display the user’s name (even if anonymous), other hikers, e-mail and comments next to their chosen peak. This list is passworded and access will only be granted to the FOT48 admin team, whoever that may be…

For a demonstration, PM me and I will give you the address of the registration page.

-Stephen

MichaelJ

Now – that’s for the signups to commit a flag to a peak, not the signups just to be supportive on a peak?

Stephen

@MichaelJ wrote:

Now – that’s for the signups to commit a flag to a peak, not the signups just to be supportive on a peak?

That is correct.

Greg

How about adding an “Add to mailing list” checkbox so we can start building an opt-in contact list?

SilentCal

Greg’s idea is a good one. perhaps this can be used for a newsletter down the road or for just general announcements.

Stephen

Three changes I’ve made:

1) Remain Anonymous is now a drop down of Yes or No. Makes the choice a little more explicit. Plus it’s easier to carry over the setting in case they have to re-enter information. (Defaults to No)

2) Added an Opt-in message “May we e-mail you about future FOT48 events?” Again with the same Yes/No dropdown box. (Defaults to Yes)

3) Added City and State to the form. Optional entries.

-Stephen

Stephen

All meeting participants (and anyone else who cares):

Please visit the sample registration site at:

https://www.flagsonthe48.org/signup04.php

NOTE: This is only a demo of the registration, this is not the ACTUAL 2004 FOT48 registration.

Please try registering and then view the peaks list. Post any feedback you may have. Thanks.

-Stephen

smitty77

Hooked on Phonics, I mean peak registration, worked for me! :flag:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • The topic ‘Site Redesign/Registration forms’ is closed to new replies.