Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Read off the Names

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
      #47554 |

Suggestion.

This is going to be my first memorial hike, so Im not really sure what to expect. Maybe this has been done before. I was wondering if anyone is interested in dividing the 9/11 names list into 48 different lists, one list for each peak, and read off the lists while the flag is risen. That would be 60-70 names per summit read out during a 5 minute moment of silence starting at noon or ending at 2. Like I said, this is going to be our first trip and maybe this is something that is done or something similar. If so, I appoligize. :flag:
      Randall Sappington
      Auburn Maine

Chris

The idea has been brought up before, but a little differently when we talked about it. We thought having a list of victims at each summit would be cool, and I posted a link to a list on the Links page. It’s possible that we did talk about reading the names, but it was never implemented. You’re welcome to get a grassroots effort going, but I’m not sure we can gather an official request at this point, I’d like to see this added before the signups. However, my word is not law, so the Steering Committee can over rule me!

SilentCal

Yes, we have discussed this before. I think it would be difficult to get the names out to everyone. Everyone does something a little different. I know of people who have printed out all the names and carried them up in a folder. People have left personal journals for people to sign and leaves their thoughts. Some people stop their hikes at certain times that the planes crashed and the towers fell. Because everyone is coming from all over New England, I think it’s better left to the group and individual as what they would like to do. Too many rules would not be a good thing. Of course, the steering committee could overrule me too. :flag:

Welcome Sno Gabe! Thanks for the idea!

sno_gabe

I was quite moved when the entire list was read off during the 1 year anniversary of the trajedy, and listened to each name. Since I first learned about this hike, which was not long ago, all I could think about when the names were read off, but the list is too long to read off for the time frame that we have. If anyone is for this, I would not have a problem dividing up the list. It would not be hard using Microsoft Excell.

Outtabreath

I like the idea, and would make sure ours get done if we can agree on it.

Jayne

I like the idea too and would be happy to display/read a list of names. I’m doing Willey, you can email it. Thanks.

McRat

I made a list last year which I cut and taped into a scroll. Rolled out, it was just a few inches short of 48 feet. Certainly easly divided by 48 peaks.

We’ll be carrying it up Wildcat A this year.

sno_gabe

If this is something that the groups would like to do, I have broken up the list into 48 lists of aprox. 62 names. If so, Im not sure, other than emailing individuals the lists, how to distibute them. I was going to break them up using excell, but not everyone has that program or an excell reader, so I saved them as .txt files.
                    :flag:

tfr

@sno_gabe wrote:

If this is something that the groups would like to do, I have broken up the list into 48 lists of aprox. 62 names. If so, Im not sure, other than emailing individuals the lists, how to distibute them. I was going to break them up using excell, but not everyone has that program or an excell reader, so I saved them as .txt files.
                      :flag:

Can you post them as plain text? That would allow everyone to just cut/paste and print as appropriate.

gram

I would be glad to take 62 names up Cannon. Because Cannon is going to be “busy”, I probably won’t read them, but will have them next to the Mission Statement.

You can PM me the names. I think next year we could really get this off the ground if we start early.

Check out 2006 Jackson in the gallery. Outtabreath’s group brought up a poster and I think all who saw it were very moved.

sciras

Send a list to worcamchiking@yahoo.com We will read some. Give us a hundred or so if you would like.

Have a safe hike everyone. Looks like the weather will be much better this year. It could be hot so hydrate!

Keep your feet moving,
                          Steve

pedxing

This thread was among a number of factors that inspired me to try to do something different for ’08. I’m thinking of organizing a group of burn survivors to take a peak and bring the names of the firefighters who lost their lives at the World Trade Center. Firefighters are a big part of the reason there are so many burn survivors and they accomplish this by putting themselves in harm’s way. As the recent tragedy in Boston proves, even an apparently routine call can bring extreme danger.

SilentCal

Great Idea Pedxing. If some people are not hikers, let us know a little early next year and we can your group up for a peak with alternate access like Cannon, Washington or Wildcat D.

pedxing

Will do Cal, thanks!

sno_gabe

does anyone have an interest in reading off names this year?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.