Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Posting the Event Announcement to Other Forums

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
      #46864 |

Have we got a standard text blurb? I’d be happy to post to VFTT when we’re ready to announce to the world.

Frodo

For the past 2 events, I posted a statement to these sites: VFTT, AMC, RMC, GMC, CMC, ADK, WMC, WMO, GONE, and backpacker.com. We should also post something on Thebackpacker.com, and ATC sites. If anyone can think of others, please post them.

As for a statement, lets brainstorm this…

MichaelJ

I think one thing that may depend on the site is how “commercial” a posting it sounds like. In other words, should we begin with “For the past several years I’ve participated in a 9/11 Memorial…” or just do a straight-out announcement?

Stephen

I think it should be more casual, that tends to be recieved better. Along the lines of “Hey all, Wanted to let you know that registrations for this year’s Flags on the 48 event have started. I just signed up for _______. For those who don’t know, FOT48 is a September 11th Memorial Hike in the NH Whites. If you want to know more, let me know, or check out the site at http://www.flagsonthe48.org“.

We should try to avoid posting a canned message to every site. The more personal it is… the better recieved it will be.

IMHO

-Stephen

Greg

Obviously, feel free to use AZ as much as you all want to promote the event. Most of the regulars there already know about it or participate here, but there’s some new blood signing on from time to time. I’ll even stickify a post.

Stephen

@Greg wrote:

Obviously, feel free to use AZ as much as you all want to promote the event. Most of the regulars there already know about it or participate here, but there’s some new blood signing on from time to time. I’ll even stickify a post.

Could you present a new banner (like last year’s) that we could post on our personal sites with this year’s info?

-Stephen

MichaelJ

Speaking of which … Stephen, one of these was what I had in mind for the holder to put places. We could just put the one flyer in under the protector, then load up with business cards. Or put a bunch of flyers in and let people take either cards or flyers.

Stephen

@MichaelJ wrote:

Speaking of which … Stephen, one of these was what I had in mind for the holder to put places. We could just put the one flyer in under the protector, then load up with business cards. Or put a bunch of flyers in and let people take either cards or flyers.

Very nice. My wife is finishing up another design project, then we’ll move on to that.

-Stephen

Greg
                      MichaelJ

Not that it’s a high-traffic web site, but I added the banner to my home page. Let me know if you get any hits with me as the referer.
                        😀

pedxing

I’ve posted a personal note about Fot48 at thebackpacker.com, since I’m one of the regular nuts there.

Frodo

Pedxing,

I read your posting(s) on thebackpacker.com, and all I can say is you are so inspiring! You have been thru so much and you still want to participate. I am in awe…

For everyone else,

What’s is the plan for promoting the event? MichealJ is ready to post on VFTT. Who is planning on posting on the other sites? Unless someone else wants to, I will volunteer to email the GMC, ADK, & WOC sites (they have no forums, so emails to the key people are about as far as we can go).

I will also post on the Highpointer’s, RMC, and Backpackers’s site’s. I will also email Ken Leonard, who runs the GONE site (Get Outdoors New England), and he will add a message to his weekly email blurb which goes out to over 1000 registered users (we have had quite a few participate over the past 2 years)

We also need some volunteers to post on the AMC, AZ, and the ATC (and anything else people think of).

We also need to pitch in on some of these forums to keep the posts going for a little while. I do also strongly believe that overposting is a negative thing and will hurt our cause…

The only problem I foresee is that we are limiting the sign-ups and once a peak is taken no-one else can sign up. So what do we do if other people want to join in?

MichaelJ

We need to start a thread on one of the forums with a title like “I want to hike but the peak’s taken already” and direct people to it. That should discuss how just because someone’s signed up doesn’t mean others can’t either join up and meet them or even just be there on their own.

Additionally, those with peaks “taken” can chime in that others are welcome to come along. This can be in the same or individual threads.

Jaytrek57

Agreed.

By my count 7 peaks left, not including “reserved”. While awesome, it may prevent/discourage more people from particpating…especially to my knowledge, since the blurb has not gone out to a lot of sites yet.

Perhaps a standard “MORE HELPED APPRECIATED” (in a different color font) could be attached to the peak list for the crews that would enjoy meeting new people for this wonderful event? I also think that the “new” people’s name(s) should somehow be added to the peak list…people like it and are more committed if they see their names for some reason. They (different crews) can then communicate plans via email or PM.

I do believe there should be some level of communication between people who may be doing the same peak. It would be an interesting dilema if let’s say 4 different crews, not communicating, were to hike up a peak. That’s a lot of PVC and duct tape being carried! Plus… :argue: but I honestly don’t think that would happen.

Just some thoughts.

Peace.

Greg

@MichaelJ wrote:

Additionally, those with peaks “taken” can chime in that others are welcome to come along. This can be in the same or individual threads.

Here’s a thought. How about creating a “Peaks” Forum here where we can have 48 threads, each one specific to a peak. Then, maybe on the Peaks list we can add a link to the thread for others that want to also cover said peak.

I will post a sticky thread on AZ this morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.