Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Mt. Zealand memorial hike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
      #46880 |

Can anyone supply me with a web site (other than Alpine) or general information about the bridge closure at Zealand Campground. Checked WMNF Web site…sewer and water improvment was all I found to be happening at Zealand this summer and fall. I’m hearing rumors of the bridge closure after the Labour Day holiday.
      I am hiking this Mountain on Sept. 11th :flag:

I would like to find out for sure if I need to add that time (of crossing the river ๐Ÿ˜ฎ walking the road to the trailhead) to my estimated time of reaching the summit. Also, still going it alone and still looking for additional hikers to keep me company and help raise the flag.
      Thanks in advance for any help

dirt_girl ๐Ÿ˜€

rbhayes

I’d call the Ranger Station:

Androscoggin Ranger District
        300 Glen Rd.
        Gorham, NH 03581-1399
        (603) 466-2713 x 0
        (603) 466-2856 TTY

SilentCal

I first heard about the bridge closure from the Alpinezone board and had it confirmed when I went to the Lincoln Woods trailhead and read about it on the bulletin board before the suspension bridge. I believe it will be closing the weekend prior to the Flags event.
          I think it stated that the bridge would be closed until December.
          An idea that was mentioned was stashing a bike in the woods near the trailhead before the closure. At least then on the way back you can ride downhill all the way back to the highway.
          River crossing would depend on how much rain had fallen recently. The bridge is not that large so I would think that the crossing might not be too tough.

Views from the Top has a thread on this topic as does the AMC Hiker Journal.
          Please let us know if you have any more questions and welcome to the boards!!! :flag:

dirt_girl

Thanks for the hearty welcome and the info. I will check out the other links as well. I just spoke with another ranger, past attempts were futile, at Ammonoosuc station he says the bridge will not be taken out until the spring of 05. I am speaking of the bridge that leaves 302 and crosses the river at Zealand campgrounds, are there others I didn’t notice?

SilentCal

That’s the bridge that I thought. Perhaps they are doing more than one?

dirt_girl

Okay, boys and girls, this should settle any rumors about any bridge closings at Zealand. District Ranger, John Scrafas has assured me that the bid did go out on deck resurfacing for the Zealand (at the campground) bridge. However, the bids came back extraordinarily high and absolutely no contract was awarded and the bidding was cancelled. Even if a new bid were to be (not likely)issued it would still take 90 days, after the bidding was opened to allow all interested parties the opportunity to bid, before just the the bidding phase closed. Even longer to choose the company that would be awarded the contract. Taking us far into winter for sure before any construction could take place. YES!!! I am all set to hike Zealand on 9-11-04. Any bodies want to come alongโ€ฆโ€ฆ now that it’s that much easier?
                dirt_girl

MichaelJ

Thanks for the information. I’ve posted it to VFTT.

dirt_girl

Happy to have helped.

MtnMagic

I learned more from you in this thread than from the local newspapers, Zealand hutmaster and da croo combined. Thank you for this important info.

Like your sig too!
                      ๐Ÿ˜€

dirt_girl

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜ณ thank you. I’m a girl on a need to know basis…I need to know (and will go to great lenghts to find out). ๐Ÿ˜€
                        Hey! Very nice of someone to keep giving me flags!!!
                        :flag:
                        :flag:

dirt_girl

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.