Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Publicity & Media Watch Mt. Washington Observatory comments

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #47229 |

Since they roll off after a certain time, I’ll just quote here:

09:59 PM Sun Sep 11, 2005 EDT

Sunrise Sky
      My first week on the summit has been amazing to say the least. I have experienced a wide array of conditions including fog, crystal clear skies that gave way to stunning views and beautiful sunsets, and of course, the ever present wind that almost seems to never let up. My most memorable moment however, was seeing the Aurora Borealis.

The night sky was illuminated by an arc of fuzzy green that could be seen on the distant horizon. A secondary arc with the same greenish hue could be seen further above, appearing and disappearing as the pulses of solar wind bombards our protective atmosphere. I was amazed at what I was seeing although I had no idea that the best was yet to come.

The Aurora appeared to be changing in size and in shape. It morphed from the hazy arc that it once was, into a distinct thick green line with columns that appeared to be shooting straight up. It somewhat resembled a giant green curtain that was blowing in a light breeze. This spectacular show went on for a mere 15 minutes before fading back to its original state.

I remember seeing the Aurora Borealis as a child and being fascinated, but I had no idea that it could look and behave like it did. This is one experience that I will never forget, and hopefully one that I will be able to relive again.

On a side note, Flags On The 48 were hiking in the Presidentials, as well as on some of New Hampshire’s other 4000+ foot mountains today in remembrance of those who lost their lives during the September 11th attacks. More can be found out by visiting their website.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2005 Publicity & Media Watch’ is closed to new topics and replies.