Forums 2007 Flags on the 48 2007 Trip Reports Mt Passaconaway

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #47614 |

It was my honor and privilege to coordinate the 9-11 Memorial hike to Mt Passaconaway. Our crew was made up of HikerAmiga, Boo and myself. What we lacked in numbers we made up with enthusiasm. I liked the spirit of our group, with each pitching in to make sure we made it to the summit for the noon raising of the flag. Despite the high heat and humidity, we made our way up the Dicey Mills trail. At the junction with the Rollins trail, we all took a break and assessed our situation. It seemed we were in good shape to raise the flag at the appropriate time. After finishing the last 9/10th of a mile to the summit, we set about the task of getting our flagpole together and securing the flag. We proudly raised our flag at 11:50 AM. Over the next 2 plus hours, it was heartwarming to hear the various comments of the many visitors. We overheard many conversations recollecting their thoughts and feelings on that terrible day 6 years ago. I felt the mission of the day was met in those conversations as people “remembered”. The appreciation of the hikers to our summit group, although unnecessary, was greatly appreciated by the summit crew. The two hours of the flag display passed very quickly and soon it was time to disassemble the flag and head down. Our trip down was filled with quiet conservation and reflection. Please check the gallery for pictures of this special day. Thanks to all who participated in the day’s events. :flag:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2007 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.