Forums 2014 Flags on the 48 2014 Trips & Routes Mt. Garfield Plan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
      #48284 |

Hi all,

It appears as if I’m coordinator! yay!
      🙂
      For those who don’t know me, I’m Dale Mottram, live in Bedford, NH and we’ll climbing Garfield this year for the event.

I’d like to start by seeing if anyone has a flag, poles, ropes any of the stuff, if not I’ll work on acquiring the materials.

I think the only trail that makes sense is the the Garfield trail, right off of Rte 3. (on the left heading north) from the parking area just up the road.

I propose we are on trail No later than 8:00am so that we don’t have to make a run for it.

We can discuss the other logistics when I return from hiking in Maine this weekend. I’ll be back in town Monday night (Aug 11).

I look forward to hiking with all of you on Sept. 13th

Dale

Dick B.

Well Dale everything looks good …Just need to find out if anyone has a flag & pole ….

dmottram

Hi all,

I’d like to propose that we have a meeting next wednesday August 26th at 6pm at Milly’s Tavern 500 N. Commercial St, Manchester. For anyone that wants to be there to discuss building the pole.

I think I have a source for the flag, if not I’ll buy one.

It’s an open invite, I don’t think anyone necessarily needs to be there to participate in the climb.

We have a full group so there should be plenty of hands to help with the carry.

dmottram

Hi all,

We have a flag that was loaned to us by the City of Manchester (it’s good to have friends that work for the municipality!)

We met at Milly’s last night and a couple of us are going to meet at Dick Bedard’s on monday to build the pole.

So, we should have what we need other than actually making the hike.

The hike in is expected to be a little bit of a push, but we should arrive at the summit in sufficient time to raise the flag on schedule.

There are some surprises for the event as well!
            Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Dale

Dick B.

Well we should make sure we have what we need before Monday….I have a piece of 2″ schedule 40 but not 10′ also we will need I say at least 6 eyelets 2 for Flag & the rest for stabilizing the pole & rope …Also what time …I will be returning from camping but should be here around noon -1-1:30

dmottram

Dick and I discussed a new time to meet for pole construction.
                We’ll meet on Monday 9/8 at 5pm to construct the pole segments.
                Darin has some ideas relative to joint strength we’ll attempt to implement
                I’ll pick up the balance of materials I think we discussed, worse case we’ll need to make a run to the Depot.
                :flag:

We have an 8’x12′ flag that is the primary target, if the winds are too strong, we’ll have a 3’x5′ for backup. No sense in going mountain surfing 😆

dmottram

:flag: Hi all,

Dick graciously let us use his yard last night to construct the pole. Dick, Darin and I built a 20′ pole which should do the trick for the weekend.

We have two flags, an 8’x12′ which has loaned to us for the event and a 3’x5′ which is for a backup in case we have winds that we can’t handle with the bigger flag.

We’re planning on meeting in the L.L. Bean parking lot in Concord, NH at 6:15am, traveling by convoy(ish) to the trailhead parking. We’ll be stepping off NO LATER than 8am. We’d like to even get going a few minutes before so we’re not a forced march pace 🙂

There are a couple of surprises for the day, so we hope to make this a great time for everyone joining us.

Any questions, please let me know!
                  Dale

dmottram

:flag:

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mt-Garfield/forecasts/1372

Please prepare accordingly.
                    High 43 windchill 36. Chance of showers.

Bring something warm (or some “anti-freeze) (I had an auntie freeze once) 😉

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Dale

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘2014 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.