Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #47213 |

Sunday morning at 4:45 we awoke in our sleeping bags to find near freezing temperatures. We quickly put together some breakfast and coffee to warm us up. Clint arrived to join us with some homemade coffee cake.

Soon Dirt, Trekman, Fiddlehead, and Clint were off and ready to head up the Stony Brook Trail towards Moriah. We hit the trail at 7:00 to ensure an early arrival. Weather was cold, but bearable, and we all warmed up pretty quickly on the trail.

We reached the summit shortly after 11:00 to meet a few people expecting our arrival. We had the flag flying by 11:45. The wind was just enough to keep the 6×10 flag moving about half the time. Visitors to the summit were constant throughout the day, approximately 40 total.

The Moriah crew was able to spot flags on Madison, Adams, Jefferson, and Middle Carter. There’s still question as to whether we saw a flag on Carter Dome or not. Also there seemed to be some activity on Mount Hight, but no word yet if there was a flag there.

At 2:00 we started taking the pole down, unfortunately just as another group made its way to the summit ledges. We were headed down the Carter-Moriah trail shortly after.

We packed the campsite, and drove straight to the Mooseland grill where we talked to a few people, had a drink, then made our 4 hour drive home. It was great to see everyone this year and look forward to seeing pictures and reading trip reports.

TrekMan

Thanks for the good trip report Dirt, and thanks for the late night driving home!
        😀

snowball42

“There’s still question as to whether we saw a flag on Carter Dome or not. Also there seemed to be some activity on Mount Hight, but no word yet if there was a flag there. “

Carter Dome flag was rigged for 50 mph gusts, but the winds were very light 🙁 , making the flag tough to see, even from Mt. Hight. We did fly our NH flag on Hight for a while as well.

Great job everyone!

-Nate

Dirt

snowball42, did you catch a glimpse of our flag??? just curious who was able to see it.

MichaelJ

Yeah, I’ve heard a rumor you had a big flag up on Moriah.
              😀

I couldn’t spy it from Jefferson with the camera, nor with binoculars, but to be honest, I don’t know which bump along the ridge, as seen from Jefferson, is the actual Moriah summit. But moreso, I think the angle we were at relative to the wind would have made it very difficult for me to see your flag – it would have been too thin from my point of view.

TrekMan

If you look here, it shows Moriah from Madison.
                http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/moriah.html
                SherpaK said he spotted our flag from Adams since he was looking down and had a green background instead of a bright sky to deal with.

MichaelJ

Okay, flipping through my extra photos I think I see which one that would be, though looking down on it, instead of up, the pointy bits are in different places.

The camera doesn’t show it, but unfortunately there was a “busy” background in that behind what I think is the summit was another ridge line, so if the flag was sticking up it could easily have gotten its detail lost.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2005 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.