Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Mooseland Grill destroyed by fire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
      #47272 |

Since the Mooseland Grill has been part of the FOT48 for the past couple of years I thought I’d pass along this sad news. I was up in the area yesterday and everything seemed fine when I drove by.

Moosland Grill Fire

Hopefully they can recover quickly with an even better restaurant.

Chris

Oh, that’s terrible! I hope they can rebuild quickly, this event wouldn’t be the same without the Mooseland!

SilentCal

Met a lot of really cool people at the Mooseland over the years. It’s a shame because it’s a favorite among many hiking circles not just FOT48. We’ll have to come up with something different this year. I doubt they could rebuild it that fast. 🙁

Pucknuts

I just heard about it too. Very sad as there are only a few decent meeting places.
            I also heard that it’s been for sale so I’m not sure it will be rebuilt.
            At least no one was injured.
            Bill

MtnMagic

Here is a link to the story from TV 3 Burlington. It is as though a very old and dear friend has passed.

I’ll look around for another place that has down to earth, reasonable prices and can hold our gathering. What a shame. Darn!

MtnMagic

Stopped at the Good ‘n You restaurant yesterday on Rte 3 in Twin Mtn after Sleeping Bear’s and my return from Mt Jefferson. I liked the name even before I visited. I must say, 150 will be shoulder to shoulder in this new establishment. Great place, very reasonable prices, haven’t tried all the food selections, but from what I saw, it is good enough on a Sunday night that the locals eat and drink there. It sure is nice and new and clean.
                Bottom line: Will it work? Honestly, it’s like a shoulder to shoulder party from our youth. Your thoughts and ideas are most welcomed. Please contribute them.

Only 7 months left … and counting. My best to all!

TrekMan

Magic – As long as many of the “shoulders” belong to wait staff, it could work. We bombed out of Mooseland minutes after we got there because of the twenty minute wait for a cold beer! Ended up eating in Bethlehem on our way to the highway.
                  :beer:

ken

heard a few people complain about the moosehead being slow (but what was the hurry anyway, the hike was over…) – i liked it – my first time there was with FOT48 and i thought it was pretty nice – i was back there many times since – a shame it’s gone (but if it was for sale it probably would have changed anyway, i have seen lots of “favorite places” change after being sold).

MtnMagic

I miss going to the Mooseland after hikes in the area. Driving by the site many times and seeing 2 piles, one pile of metal, another of wood actually reminds me of the attacks on 9.11.01. It is like looking at the skyline of Manhattan and not seeing the Twin Towers. 👿 That’s what flags on the 48 is all about. I’m going to bring several flags in our group of 10 on a new peak this year with renewed vigor.

At the weekend planning/camping/hiking meeting coming May 20 (it’s Armed Forces Day!), the group will decide, among many other topics, where we go Saturday night. One thought is since a lot of us are camping at the Broken Branch KOA Friday night, extend it to include Saturday evening also. We select our own choice of food, drink and our meals prepared when we want it, or slow, or fast. There will be at least 2 grills there, and with a little wood donation, a campfire. Something to think about.

Jaytrek57

Magic–

I am hoping we have a big turnout for that Saturday at Broken Branch.

Although I love meeting at a bar/food after a hike…I think making the campsite the place for everyone to meet-up is the way to go.

People that do walk-ups/trams/drives, etc.. might even volunteer to head up a grill crew for everyone in advance. I know my wife and friends might be interested in this.

Either way Magic…you are going down in chess my friend!! :flag:

MtnMagic

Either way Magic…you are going down in chess my friend!!

Hehe! Thanks for the great laugh this read gave me. Looking forward to the challange with you once again.
                          😀

I have a huge grill with a side burner, that would be most useful. Wish I had a pick-up truck to load it. Nothing like some good fellowship around a campfire to soothe the soul at night.

Chris

You know I’ll have a good load of hardwood to burn at the planning meeting. Maybe I can even convince Dome to bring the “Camping Condo” again!

MtnMagic

You know I’ll have a good load of hardwood to burn at the planning meeting.

Oh that’s great news Chris. We had two fine nights with a substanial campfire last year. We are golden!

SilentCal

We’ll have to see where this goes. Best advice would be to bring your suggestions to the Planning meeting or give the suggestion to someone that is. One thing to remember if we were to go with the KOA route, it would be wise to ask the owner of the campground if they could spare a couple minutes of their time to come to the planning meeting and see if they would have any issues with what could be a large crowd showing up at all different times and such. That time of the year is still prime camping time and I would hope that we don’t ruin a good thing by not being on the same page as them.

I do like the idea of a cookout type gathering. Once my internet connection is more solid, I’ll follow up on another idea that may work out.

Jaytrek57

Jim–

Good point.

I wouldn’t want to press Broken branch either….but they do have the capacity…I’ve seen wedding receptions there…plus they are really on board with FOT48.

But you are right…great topic for the planning meeting. You should bring a gavel this time. 😉 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.