Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Mission statement tense problems? & stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
      #46735 |

I was going to print out the mission statement to inform passing hikers (if there are any) why I’m flying a flag at the summit. It’s not that I don’t want to talk to anybody up there, just that I may not be there in person for the full 2 hours of observance. I may retreat to the shelter of the trees if the weather is ooky, or take a quick jaunt to a neighboring peak, or whatever. Point is, if I am not there, I want whomever is there to know what’s going on, and that I will be back for the flag (LNT ‘n all).

So:

Any suggestions as to best distill down the statement, correct tense, and mention that LNT principals will be observed? For reference, the current mission statement is included below with problematic words in bold. I’m not sure how to express to others that the flag will be removed, so don’t take it down…..

On September 11th, 2001 the consciousness of United States of America was inexorably altered by an unprovoked and unjustifiable act of terrorism so far reaching in its scope, that our country will not soon heal from this wound. Thousands of innocent lives were lost in a fleeting moment as families still try to piece together their shattered lives and return to some semblance of normalcy.

We in the hiking community would like to honor those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire on Saturday, September 14, 2002, in conjunction with the observance of National Remembrance Day. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.

Greg

How ’bout:

On September 11th, 2001 the consciousness of United States of America was inexorably altered by an unprovoked and unjustifiable act of terrorism so far reaching in its scope, that our country will not soon heal from this wound. Thousands of innocent lives were lost in a fleeting moment as families still try to piece together their shattered lives and return to some semblance of normalcy.

We in the hiking community are honoring those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire today, Saturday, September 14, 2002, in conjunction with the observance of National Remembrance Day. This flag will be displayed from 12:00-2:00. Keep in mind that we leave no trace. After we are done displaying this flag, it will be removed; nothing is to be left behind on this mountain. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.

…or something…

pedxing

It reads very nicely to me!

RJ

Greg, I’ve kept my mouth shut while others on the AMC board have attacked our intentions for organizing this event since I believe everyone has a right to voice an opinion regardless if I agree with it or not. However, I don’t believe we should alter, rewrite, or revise our mission statement just because one person has a problem with the wording.

Where do we draw the line? Does everyone who reads this page get to rewrite the mission statement? I realize that you were trying to be helpful by addressing a concern, but I personally don’t have a problem with the wording.

If we try to rewrite the mission statement NOW, we might as well just scrap it all together. I agree that LNT should be observed, but it doesn’t belong in the mission statement any more than asking people to leash their dogs.

We are too close to the event to worry about the opinion of ONE individual. Our main concern now is to get through this weekend with the least amount of issues. Rewriting the mission statement as this late date does nothing but disrupt the continuity that we have worked so hard to establish.

Greg

RJ – Some very good points. However, I don’t think that Amadeus is trying to change the “theme” of the mission statement. I believe (Amadeus , please correct me if I’m wrong) his intent is to:

• Put the mission statement in the correct (present) tense if being displayed during the event.
              • Reiiterate that the flag/flagpole will be removed.

The tense issue is not a big deal if the mission statement is left as is. As for the LNT aspect, perhaps a single sentence can occur in a new paragraph and not as part of the actual mission statement?

Finally, maybe we should urge flag supporters to simply stay with their flags. If the weather is not suitable for a human, it’s certainly not suitable for a makeshift flagpole which may be blown down, or worse into someone.

I’m kinda torn here, but i tend to agree with RJ, especially due to the backlash this harmless event has received on other forums. Consistency is the key here. What are others thoughts?

RJ

If you want to change the tense to reflect the actual time of the event, so be it. However, I would put the reference to the LNT at the end of the statement and not placed in the middle as it is now. Placing it just above the somber unity sentence make me feel a little uncomfortable. The LNT is a housekeeping element and shouldn’t be placed just above our core reason for hiking.

Greg

Agreed. How about this:

“On September 11th, 2001 the consciousness of United States of America was inexorably altered by an unprovoked and unjustifiable act of terrorism so far reaching in its scope, that our country will not soon heal from this wound. Thousands of innocent lives were lost in a fleeting moment as families still try to piece together their shattered lives and return to some semblance of normalcy.

We in the hiking community would like to honor those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire on Saturday, September 14, 2002, in conjunction with the observance of National Remembrance Day. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.”

This flag will be displayed from 12:00-2:00. Keep in mind that we leave no trace. After we are done displaying this flag, it will be removed; nothing is to be left behind on this mountain.

I would use some sort of similar format with the mission statement (as on the Web site) more prominent. In retrospect, the tense, IMO, would read just fine if displayed during the event.

I still think it’s better if the supporter stays with his/her flag though…

Any other comments?

RJ

Thank you. This newest version allows the core sentiment of the mission statement to remain intact.

Amadeus

You are correct in your assumption Greg. Thanks for the clarification.

With all the misunderstanding about what we are doing, I just wanted other hikers to be clear about what is going on, and that LNT will be observed. I am just trying to avoid arguments at the top. I heat / sun stroke very easily (I usually hike in late fall/winter/spring) and as such, may not be able to sit on top for two hours to watch / explain the flag.

Thanks for the corrected tense. I’ll bring a copy with me attached to the flag pole.

With respect to all;
                      Amadeus

RJ

Amadeus:

I’m sorry if I seem to be overly harsh with respect to your suggestions, it is just that I’m a little tired of the crap over at the AMC website concerning this event. You made a valid point and I’m sorry if I overreacted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The topic ‘Mission statement tense problems? & stuff.’ is closed to new replies.