Forums 2015 Flags on the 48 2015 Trip Reports Middle Tripyramid

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
      #48412 |

Cumulus and I were the only ones who signed up for Middle Tripyramid, and we met at the Livermore trailhead in Waterville Valley a little after 7:00 a.m. We ascended via the south slide and reached the peak at 11:00. We had our 3’ x 5’ flag set up on a 12’ pole by 11:30 and sat back to greet our visitors and offer them grilled hot dogs and cookies. We estimated we had about 30 human visitors plus maybe a half-dozen dogs. It was an absolutely beautiful day on the summit—sunny and warm with no wind, but unfortunately that also meant the flag just hung there on the pole for most of the day. We could see the flag on North Tripyramid, but could not see flags on any of the other nearby visible peaks (Osceolas, Tecumseh, Passaconaway, and Whiteface). We hoped for a fly-by but there was none. We packed up a little after 2:00 and headed out over North Tripyramid and then down via Scaur Ridge. On the way we exchanged greetings with the North Tripyramid team doing the loop in the opposite direction. We got back to the trailhead a little before 6:00. I had a great hike, and Cumulus was an experienced and interesting teammate.

Cumulus

For seven years running now I have raised a flag on Middle Tripyramid for Flags on the 48. This time one other hiker signed up for MT, a guy named Bob whom I first met at the trailhead, but who lives less than 20 miles from me back in Connecticut. We went up the South Slide and down Scaur Ridge, starting and ending at Livermore Trailhead.

The weather was good all day. There was no rain and it was much warmer than it has been in other years. The only downside weather-wise was a lack of wind for most of the time, which wasn’t good for the flag, but that changed near the end of our stay up on the summit.

This was the first time on the Tripryamids for Bob. I think he said they were his 28th and 29th NH4Ks.

The South Slide served up some great views for us, and we were on the summit of Middle well before noon. We set up the flag without any trouble and hung around talking to the dozens of people who came through (including a NH4K finisher), and offering up cookies (from me) and hot dogs (from Bob, who had hiked up a little stove).

We could see the flag on North Tripyramid by going down the trail just a little ways, but we didn’t see any flags on any other peaks. There was no flyby this year.

After two we took down the flag, and headed out over North Tripyramid (passing the North crew heading towards Middle) and down Scaur Ridge Trail. It was another successful memorial, and a couple of new peaks for Bob.

Here are the pictures.

Cumulus
        2009-2015: Middle Tripyramid

“One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” – Francis Bellamy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘2015 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.