Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #48307 |

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trail head.

The hike up Mount Jefferson via the Caps Ridge Trail is 2.5 miles, has an elevation gain of 2,700 feet and will take us approximately 3 hours to get to the summit. The AMC guide book describes it as steep and rough with numerous ledges that require rock scrambling. The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 8 hours; 3 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonalds in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 7:00 and leaving for the trail head around 7:15. It should take us around an hour to get to the trail head off of route 302. I know some of you plan on meeting at the 99 restaurant in Nashua to car pool to McDonalds. Figure about 1.5 hour drive from Nashua to McDonalds.

If you plan on going directly to the trail head – here are directions to the Cap Ridge trail head from route 93:
      Take I-93 North through Franconia Notch Parkway (Cannon mt)
      Take exit 35, Route 3N for approx. 10-12 miles to Twin Mountain, NH.
      Turn right onto Route 302E for five miles to Bretton Woods, NH.
      Turn left at Fabyan’s Station Restaurant onto the Base Road. (to Cog Railway)
      Follow Base Road for approximately 3.5 miles.
      Take left onto Jefferson Notch Road. (Dirt road, intersects with Mt Clinton Rd, might be no signs)
      Follow for approximately 4 miles. Cape Ridge trail head parking will be on your right. (sign on left)
      Good luck …

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2014 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.