Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
      #46783 |

Hello all. We’re going to have to pull out from covering Garfield. My 8 month old daughter has been very sick (diarrhea and vomiting) since last Thursday. In fact, my wife is bringing her in for blood tests and an abdominal X-ray today.

I was holding out as long as possible to see if she improved, but although she’s slightly better, she’s still not well. I wouldn’t be comfortable traveling all the way to the Whites (it’s 4 1/2 hours for me) and spending two nights in the Pemi (with no cell phone coverage).

I’m really disappointed and wanted to participate, and was looking forward to getting up there (first backpack since Abby was born), but oh well. The mountains will always be there. Thanks to everyone else who’s participating and also a big thanks to Stephen (the8re) for accepting the sign-ups. Thanks also to those who’ve helped promote the event.

Hopefully someone else can cover Garfield. Sorry guys. 😥

Jayne

Sorry to hear that you are out. Hope all goes well with your daughter! Like you said, the mountains will be there. We are all routing for you and your family. Take care.
        Jayne

Max

Ditto to what Jayne said…the family comes first. You will be there in spirit with my wife and I on Cannon for sure. There’s more hikes down the road. Take care of the little one…I hate it when kids don’t feel well, it breaks your heart.

SilentCal

Family always comes first. Greg you’ve done a remarkable job with this event and everyone will be thinking of you and your daughter. Hope everything works out for the best.

Stephen

Yeah, Greg. I know what it’s like to cancel things cause of family matters. It’s a commonplace item in my family now, an accepted fact of life.

Prayers are with ya.

-T

RichC

Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well with you daughter. I just want to add my thanks for your work on this hike over the past two years. You’ll definitly still be there with all of us.

Frodo

Sorry to hear about your daughter. You certainly have your priorities right. Last Friday, my 5 year old son was hovering in his bed and vomiting like the exorcist… Good thing it only lasted for 1 day!

Good luck with everything, and we will be thinking about you and your family on Jefferson this Saturday.

Greg

Thanks everybody. Well, this evening we spent 5+ hours in the hospital. Abby needed an IV to help with dehydration. We just got home. At least we weren’t there for days as they intially said. Anyway, if anything it really solidified my decision. Thanks again for all the support and kind words…it is appreciated! I’ll be thinking about you all on Saturday.

MichaelJ

It sounds like she’s responding – that’s good news, and I’m glad. Prayers and best wishes … you’ll be missed!

MtnMagic

Get well quickly Abby!

Greg

Hi all – thought I’d post an update…

Well, I’d love to be camping in the Pemi right now, but seeing Abby chow down on a bowl of rice cereal and bananas this morning, bottles throughout the day, and oatmeal and peas for dinner has made staying home worth it. She is doing much, much better. Happy, smiling, and laughing like an 8 month old should. Diarrhea is done and she hasn’t vomited in 2 1/2 days, so we’re on the mend.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I really wish I could participate, but, hey, there’s always next year, right?! Have a safe hike everyone! 8)

SilentCal

Greg you’ve made more of a difference than you might realize. Both in the eyes of your daughter and with all your fellow hikers. We’ll be thinking of you tomorrow and probaly have various toasts in your honor at the mooseland. take care

RichC

Very happy about Abby’s recovery. We” ll be heading out the door in the AM for North Kinsman. See you next year, we hope.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The topic ‘I’m out. :(’ is closed to new replies.