Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion How far will you travel to hike the 9/11 Memorial Hike

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

I hear you. It will always be known as the ‘silent majority’. There is still 3 weeks left for the folks to cast their choice in the poll! Maybe we were just a bit too early?!

Jaytrek57

I voted…don’t want Dirt_Girl mad at me. :blink:

Peace from the “Foxwoods Thruway”…otherwise known as Rhode Island.

amberlin

@dirt_girl wrote:

Hi Amberlin.
          I hope you cast a vote for each state!?!?
          😉

It will only let me vote once…so i voted for other (i think)

dirt_girl

Good to know who the other is…
            I thought it was my very funny (foxwood thruway) buddy Jaytrek, who I could never be mad at 😀
            Guess you can only vote once, my bad. 😳

TrekMan

Thanks to my daughter, I encouraged her to enter the VT vote. She will actually be there with her husband too, maybe she should vote again?
              -TrekMan

MtnMagic

The software remembers what IP address voted. Ask the husband to vote too!

ken

@tfr wrote:

Beat us if you can! 😀

i only go 322 miles (going the shortest way) but… if i use all large roads (as a map program would), it comes out to 341 miles – – – a statement in this forum/vote had me wondering… being that poughkeepsie is 41 miles north of N.Y.C. (as the crow flies) i kind of wondered if someone north of me really had a longer trip, 331 (compared to my 322) – i get 11.3 from poughkeepsie to taconic parkway using US44 – another 60.9 to I-90 – another 100.3 to I-290 – another 19.0 to I-495 – 22.3 to I-93 and 102.5 to woodstock for a total of 316.3…
                  if i use all 4 lane highways (once i get to my closest interstate) i have to go 341 miles – and there are even shorter ways to go by taking a few state roads rather than all the way on interstate highways (going that way i travel 322 odometer miles).
                  i also got curious about “as the crow flies” and it came out to 219.07 form poughkeepsie to woodstock and 253.08 from queens, n.y.c to woodstock…
                  (and if mr. 316.3 went up I-91, 25, 118, 112 like i do he would then be mr. 297.3)

just edited/added from mapquest (all my calculations above were from “topo”):

Poughkeepsie, NY US
                  Revise | New Directions
                  Woodstock, NH US
                  Revise | New Directions
                  Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 8 minutes
                  Total Est. Distance: 297.58 miles

Maspeth, NY US
                  Revise | New Directions
                  Woodstock, NH US
                  Revise | New Directions
                  Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 35 minutes
                  Total Est. Distance: 325.42 mies

MtnMagic

So very glad you can join us once again, Ken. See you at the outing!!
                    😀

ken

@MtnMagic wrote:

So very glad you can join us once again, Ken. See you at the outing!!
                      😀

if the traffic is decent i can be there by 7pm – but i am not counting on that – i always hit traffic in n.y.c. on the long island expressway & whitestone bridge, waterbury CT, hartford CT & springfield MA…

MtnMagic

Once you get thru that, and Boston, it is pretty much clear sailing to here. Whenever you arrive, see you at the KOA in Woodstock with the croo!!
                        😀

ken

@MtnMagic wrote:

Once you get thru that, and Boston, it is pretty much clear sailing to here. Whenever you arrive, see you at the KOA in Woodstock with the croo!!
                          😀

i dont go antwhere near boston – that would mean hitting lowell & lawrence traffic on 495 instead of springfield’s 5 minute traffic jam (every time i go to maine i hate that part of the trip) – – – when i go to n.h. i take 91 up to 25 and take 118 out of warren to 112 – and it is 18 miles shorter (also 91 has less traffic than 93 also so i can move along faster).

MtnMagic

Great route choice Ken! You’ll eliminate all the traffic and have a stree-free ride. I gave up traffic 23 years ago, and I don’t miss it. See you at the KOA!!

SilentCal

Ken, just to give you a heads up since I live in Springfield, There is more construction going on at the RT 91 / RT 391 split. There have been some serious backups lately.

I take the same route as you from here. Going by route 25 and Warren is such a time saver. Just keep a Heads up for moose.

dirt_girl

Hummm? I think there may be some total miles traveled in dispute here? Tom?
                                Ken makes an excellent case, at least it sounds convincing. I have never been to any of the places
                                or traveled any of the roads he’s mentioned so I remain clueless.
                                I’m sure you guys will figure out the actual mileage traveled and perhaps a new travels the most miles to hike FOT48 winner will immerge?
                                :flag:

ken

@SilentCal wrote:

Ken, just to give you a heads up since I live in Springfield, There is more construction going on at the RT 91 / RT 391 split. There have been some serious backups lately.

how bad? for an extra 1/2 hour of traveling (352 miles instead of 322) i can take the taconic parkway up to I-90 east to I-91 north (i know i wont hit any traffic in new york once out of n.y.c. but what is I-90 like in massachussetts???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.