Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Hancock Campground

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

If I remember correctly, there is a kiosk so that campers can pay for their sites.

There will be a caretaker off and on during each, we can ask her/him if it’s ok to pin a card saying what sites we have. And whether we are at them, or elsewhere.

SherpaKroto

You might consider a fallback plan of the sites on Haystack Road. Quiet, and seculded. I can’t attend (literally the only weekend that I agreed to work), but I already have the date on my calendar for the Fot48 hike. I don’t want to overcommit myself like I did last year

MtnMagic

Thanks for the idea. It sure is now considered.

Love Haystack road campsites and the hike to North Twin!

MichaelJ

Keep in mind those sites have no water or toilet facilities, so some people may not be as interested in staying there as they were for Hancock.

SilentCal

Magic and I scouted the campground out over the weekend. As you enter the campground the road forks. On the right hand fork is a kiosk that I can leave a message to everyone attending to let them know which sites we have reserved for us. There are nice sites by the river and some nice sites just beyond the kiosk. We’ll try to get something nearby to the toilets. I plan on bringing my Coleman grill-to-go and several totes of wood to burn. Anyone is more than welcome to use the grill.

MtnMagic

In addition to your fine bbq grill and our wood to burn ,I too will bring more than enough wood so we can spend hours brainstorming around the campfire.

Then we can hit the trail to the Hancocks in the morning.

Does it get any better than that?!

MichaelJ

Does it get any better than that?!

I’ll bring a cooler with a pair of growlers.
                  :beer:

I also have a Coleman lantern that is a small sun, even though it’s just after the solstice and we probably won’t need it.

MtnMagic

Happy Solstice!

Hope it is not “lights out” at 10 pm. Heck it just starts to get dark at 9, now. Love a great campfire at night. Have lots of firewood to share. Can we break quite hours and stay up past 10 and enjoy?! The campfire, I mean!

I’m bringing my $3 circa 1945 Coleman Model #228-F double mantle lantern. It’ll blind you with its brilliance. It also might prove why Coleman quickly produced the next model — Cuz this one *is* a fire hazard. And I love to share!

Whoo Hoo, can’t wait for the coming weekend!!

SilentCal

I don’t think we will be bothered past 10:00 as long as we keep the noise down and fires not overly bright. There were some more private sites than others and we’ll get there early on Friday to claim some. Just how many do you think we will need. I’m thinking two sites should be able to hold all of us. Magic – I can bring two of those totes full of the wood that I had plus another one of regular firewood. I think we will have more than enough wood. I’ll also bring a rather large cooler for all of our frosty beverages… :beer: :flag:

MtnMagic

Ok, it sounds you have more than enough wood so I’ll not bring a half trunk full. Those tote boxes you have hold plenty of wood.

MichaelJ

I think one thing to keep in mind number-of-sites wise is if Hancock has rules on parking a number of cars per site. Is there a lot or somewhere for the extra cars?

MtnMagic

8 people, 2 vehicles per site.

We can park extra vehicles at the 2 large lots at the Lincoln Woods Trailhead. It’s only about a half mile away.

MichaelJ

So … I don’t remember if we discussed Saturday dinner plans … are we each doing our own camp food or are we ordering pizza or something else? I can’t really contribute a dish to a pot luck since I’m 100% busy all week with work and other commitments, but will certainly chip in if we do group food. Or if it’s all individual, I’ll bring some burgers and just point me to a grill.
                              😀

I have no idea for Friday night food yet, either. I hope to there around 5pm. After pitching my tent and setting up my site, I may just grab something in Lincoln if others are as well.

Who else is going to be around Saturday during the day? I’m only doing Webster-Jackson in the morning, so I expect to be back by early afternoon.

Greg

@MichaelJ wrote:

Or if it’s all individual, I’ll bring some burgers and just point me to a grill.

This approach works for me.

MtnMagic

I’ll be around late Saturday. There is the large P&C grocery store about 4 miles away. I’m hoping that Bill & Bob’s Roast Beef is open to have one of their big sandwiches.

SilentCal will be bringing his grill for us to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • The topic ‘Hancock Campground’ is closed to new replies.