Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting Hancock Campground

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
      #46830 |

http://www.campsnh.com/hancock.htm

I wonder if it was wise to pick a spot that has no reservations…

-T

MtnMagic

Early May — plenty of bugs, brook crossings almost impossible, few campers.
        End of June — lots of campers, still plenty of bugs! Smoke from campfire(s) sends the bugs away!

Stephen

@MtnMagic wrote:

Early May — plenty of bugs, brook crossings almost impossible, few campers.
          End of June — lots of campers, still plenty of bugs! Smoke from campfire(s) sends the bugs away!

My concern was getting space for the dozen or so of us heading up there…

MtnMagic

There are 56 sites at this location. 8 people per site and 2 vehicles. (Park at the huge Lin-Woods Trailhead 2 parking lots if need be.) Check out time is noon, check in time is 2pm. I believe we can find several sites.

If this site takes them, reservations can be made by calling 1-877-444- 6777. I haven’t called.

MtnMagic

I just visited the Hancock Campground website and read that camping there is on a first come, first serve basis. I can arrive early in the morning and pay for a few sites. Also the thought occured to me that I could on the Friday morning and pay for a few sites.

What does everone think?!

Stephen

@MtnMagic wrote:

I just visited the Hancock Campground website and read that camping there is on a first come, first serve basis. I can arrive early in the morning and pay for a few sites. Also the thought occured to me that I could on the Friday morning and pay for a few sites.

What does everone think?!

Sounds good to me, as I’ll probably be up Friday evening.

-T

SilentCal

I can go up as well on friday morning and grab a site or two. As long as we can get a general idea of how many people are going we should not have too much of a problem. Do they have limits on how many tents can occupy a site?

Stephen

@SilentCal wrote:

I can go up as well on friday morning and grab a site or two. As long as we can get a general idea of how many people are going we should not have too much of a problem. Do they have limits on how many tents can occupy a site?

I’ll do a non-binding signup just so we know who is going.

MtnMagic

8 people and 2 vehicles seem to be their big concern.

I always see those huge 10′ x 16′ family sized tents that car campers use. We are talking 3/4 2-3 person sized tents on the site. The rules don’t say no to several small tents.

Rules: http://www.campsnh.com/rules.htm

SilentCal

I don’t mind to go Friday morning and grab two or three sites near each other. 2 sites will hold 16 people. That should be enough. Plus, remember some people may come just for the meeting and stay someplace else. Maybe on the signup, say if you don’t mind sharing a site for a night.

MtnMagic

The non-binding sign-up is a good idea.

A quick hike Friday afternoon?!

Stephen

What details for sign up?

Name

Arriving:
                            -Friday AM
                            -Friday PM
                            -Saturday

Staying in camp?
                            -Friday night
                            -Saturday night
                            -Friday & Saturday night
                            -Not staying in camp

If staying in camp:
                            -Please save a site for me
                            -Please share a site with me
                            -I’ll get my own site

How about a tent
                            -Bringing one to share
                            -Bringing my own
                            -Would like to share
                            -Sleeping under the stars

Hiking the Hancocks on Sunday?
                            -Yes, with the group
                            -Yes, on my own
                            -No thank you

Anything else?

MtnMagic

Wow! We’re getting good on these details!!

If it rains? Needed are Contingency Plans A & B if inclement weather/or by chance the c.g. is full. Just trying to cover every detail.

Go to the Woodstock Station. Meet, discuss our agenda, etc.

SilentCal

I’m game for a hike on friday afternoon and even a saturday morning one at that. I have a rather large tarp that we could set up if it rains but the Woodstock Station would be great if the weatherman is against us.
                                The8re- I would add how many people in your group. Plus it might be a wise idea to nail down a time for everyone to at least meet at the campground and then depending on the weather go from there. I can bring my grill and some firewood as well.

Stephen

Anyone familiar with the campground know if there is a board we can post a notice if we move cause of rain or capacity?

I’ll add the party number to the form. Should be ready later today.

-T

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                • The topic ‘Hancock Campground’ is closed to new replies.