Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #47167 |

Because I got so much ribbing for not having my route up here, we’re most likely going to take the Hale Brook Trail, assuming we can get to it (anyone hear anything about the Zealand Rd bridge construction?)

There, I’m not a delinquent anymore! 😆

SilentCal

Bridge Construction is most certainly going on Chris. It’s posted all over the AMC site and they have made plans to shuttle people to the Zealand Road parking lot with a van they will leave on the other side. Fording the river will be nessacary. Perhaps someone else can chime in with how difficult that may be.

Who was ribbing you? The moderators must be sleeping not catch that 🙄
        :flag:

MichaelJ

Construction starts on Tuesday. Monday at 4pm they will start towing any remaining cars out of the Zealand parking lot (and presumably Hale Brook and Sugarloaf and the rest of the road).

You can ford the river and walk up the road or take the AMC shuttle, but you won’t be able to drive.

MichaelJ

Please read here. You are supposed to park across the street in the big winter lot on Rte 302, then follow a new trail that goes to the Sugarloaf I campground, which is where the shuttle van pickup will be. The shuttle gives priority to hut guests, but any hiker can flag it and ride it. You’ll need to flag it at Hale Brook since the only official stops are the Zealand Trailhead and Sugarloaf I.

To get to the Sugarloaf I campground the Forest Service has just finished cutting a trail along the south bank of the Ammonoosuc River. This trail is historic as it follows the grade of the original 1800’s carriage road through Crawford Notch. The trail is reached by following 302 east (toward the Notch) and crossing over the Ammonoosuc River on the highway bridge. Directly after the bridge the trail turns right down the embankment, and follows the left bank of the river. The trail runs about 1/2 a mile to the Zealand Road, just above the bridge construction. Hiking time from the parking lot to the shuttle stop would be about 30 minutes, or 40 for those hiking with kids.

dirt_girl

The shuttle runs at times that would not accommodate the Mt. Zealand hikers.
              Magic sent me this:
              http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/zealand-road-closure.cfm

dirt_girl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘2005 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.