Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting FOT48 Planning Get-together Date

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
      #46825 |

This poll was created to select a date for the 2004 FOT48 Planning Get-together. This poll will run for 14 days.

MtnMagic

There’s plenty of water around the land of the East Branch of the Pemi. Based on many years of living here, the black flies hatch during the second week of May. By June the Mosquistos hatch too.They both are very hungry and one requires netting, unless the winds are brisk or there is cold weather.

The locals have always said that 90% of the insects are gone when there are 3 or more days of 90 degree weather. That’s why they are not so bad by July 4.

I rather be camping, hiking in the woods, and around a campfire without the bugs!

Greg

@MtnMagic wrote:

The locals have always said that 90% of the insects are gone when there are 3 or more days of 90 degree weather. That’s why they are not so bad by July 4.

How is the bug situation, typically, by the June 26 timeframe? I’ve back country camped on the July 4th weekend as well as the middle of June. Load me up with bug dope and I’m fine. It takes a while to acclimate, but I sort of get used to them…

MtnMagic

My favorite time outdoors during the early part of the year is April and early May. Snow and ice remains on the mtns. Warm days, cool nights — perfect for hiking, camping, and my favorite — sitting around the campfire after a hard day of hiking! The valleys and the rest of the land up here see “mud season.” No bugs! About the middle of May the state bird hatches.

Late May to mid June is the worst, bug wise. They all hatch and are starving. Moist leaves are not sufficent enough. We and all animals are part of their food chain. Moose are the smartest animals. They spend their days submerged right up to their eyes. Watch out though — they move around in the dark and are most difficult to see!

If the end of June heats up, like it *sometimes* does, the hot weather dimimishes the population. If it is just warm, damp, and rainy, gosh do they multiply. Btw working in the garden, even in direct sun, the smell of the earth and us (C02) excites the bugs to the point where you just give up. We stay indoors to avoid the masses.

There will be bugs at the end of June, less then the middle of the month, a lot less than the early part of the month. The secret is 3 or more days of 90 degree temps to dehydrate the life out of them.

Late April/ Early May sees absolutely no bugs. Unless super hot, dry weather
            hatches them early. A delicate balance of nature.

MichaelJ

There’s only 9 of us???

NH_Mtn_Hiker

@MichaelJ wrote:

There’s only 9 of us???

11 now, plus I’ll probably bring 1 or 2 other peakbaggers with me.

MtnMagic

Way early in the year for many to commit 4/5 months in advance.
                  They will attend when and were the rest of us do.
                  We know there are many more interested.
                  Of course no date/place is perfect for everyone.
                  Aka: the silent majority.
                  Money back if not satisfied is not guarenteed!

Greg

June 26, 2004 it is. Locked.

Greg

@Greg wrote:

June 26, 2004 it is. Locked.

I’m a big dummy. I set this poll to run for 14 days and I had spaced out and thought it was 7. 😳 I’m unlocking it so others can vote. Tomorrow’s the last day.

MtnMagic

Greg,

Since you locked it accidentlly, instead of a day, how about giving it a whole week for the folks to vote.

For the good of the event!

Greg

@MtnMagic wrote:

Since you locked it accidentlly, instead of a day, how about giving it a whole week for the folks to vote.

Good point. I locked it on Monday, so we’ll give it to Saturday instead of Thursday. Fair enough?

MtnMagic

Yes, great! That’ll give the folks that thought it was locked a chance to vote.
                            💡
                            How about a quick newsletter so all will know and can vote!

Stephen

Can I suggest we re-poll with the top two (or 4, if the tie still remains), since there were so many options? The same with the location?

-T

Greg

@MtnMagic wrote:

How about a quick newsletter so all will know and can vote!

Probably unnecessary for the planning gathering. There are almost 1,500 subscribers so this could lead to a huge turnout just for the planning event, which I still feel should include just the really enthusiastic folks that visit here. This, however, is a great idea to help spread the word about participating in the event once we launch it!

@the8re wrote:

Can I suggest we re-poll with the top two (or 4, if the tie still remains), since there were so many options? The same with the location?

Not sure why this would be necessary. Please elaborate.

Stephen

To reach a majority date. As it stands now, if we went with the currently leader, that would mean picking a date when more people voted for another date.

If we can narrow down the choices, we’ll eventually get a majority vote on one of the dates (theoretically) thus the higher chance that more people can attend.

You might find that by Limiting to the top two choices, the date that was convenient for the most number of people in the first round may not be the most convenient in the second. Assuming our goals is to hone in on a date that works for the most number of people…

-T

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • The topic ‘FOT48 Planning Get-together Date’ is closed to new replies.