Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
      #46717 |

It seems that enthusiasm for this event has waned quite a bit since we first discussed it back in September. I’m a little concerned whether there is still enough support to warrant moving forward with planning this event. Frodo has made a valiant effort to get some discussion going again and not much has materialized in recent weeks. 🙁

Therefore, I’m going to post a poll to see exactly how much enthusiasm there actually is. The way I see it, we will need at least 48 “Yes” responses before this event can even take place. I will run this poll for 120 days. If there are not 48 “Yes” votes by the end of the poll, then this event will be cancelled. Please refer as many people as possible to this poll in order for us to meet the minimum. You must be registered to vote.

I’ll start with my “Yes” vote.

Alpinista

Please don’t cancel this event! I’ll bet your sensing a dropoff in enthusiasm that is only temporary. Once the date nears, folks will be looking for ways to commemmorate 9/11. For myself, whether there’s something “organized” or not, I plan on being on a mountaintop that day.

I’d recommend that in mid-July or mid-August you approach The Associated Press in Concord and the Union-Leader in Manchester to let them know what’s going on. A little advance coverage might help renew enthusiasm for the event.

Frodo

Just want to clarify a few things. This poll is just a gage to measure current enthusiasm, and the event certainly will NOT be cancelled based on the outcome of this poll. It might move to another website if Alpinezone.com doesn’t support it based on this poll, but come Sept. 14th, flags will be flying on the mountain tops…….

BC Skier

I think its a great idea and would love to participate. I’m not sure if I will be able to as I have two young kids. I will however to everthing in my power to find as sitter. I would love to do this with my wife, it would be her firsts four thousand footer.

Greg

@Frodo wrote:

Just want to clarify a few things. This poll is just a gage to measure current enthusiasm, and the event certainly will NOT be cancelled based on the outcome of this poll. It might move to another website if Alpinezone.com doesn’t support it based on this poll, but come Sept. 14th, flags will be flying on the mountain tops…….

I thought I should comment here. While it’s true that AlpineZone can’t necessarily “cancel” this event, I see little point in developing a Web site and running these forums if ultimately only ten or fifteen people will be participating. Communication between a group that small can occur via Email. As this forum has been the focal point of the planning thus far, use this opportunity to refer people here so this event can truly be a huge success that warrants a Web page and these forums. Again, this poll will run until mid-July, which will bring us closer to the event. I’m confident we’ll attain 48 “Yes” responses by then, but we need your help. Tell as many family members and friends as possible. Word of mouth can go a long way!

go

it will be an honor to be part of this event.

TenPeaks

I agree with Alpinista. When the date is closer there will be many news stories and rememberance events going on all over the country. If you could publicize this forum some more I’m sure you would have a larger response.

Last Septemeber, when this event was suggested on the AMC forum I volunteered to carry a flag up a mountain. I’m still very interested in participating.

MMM

I’ve been off the board for a while, due to layoff from work and not having internet access! I’m glad to see there’s still discussion going on about the event. And I’ll be there.

Greg

1/4 of the way there. I’m convinced we’ll make it. 😀 Come on everyone – let’s spread the word!

Frodo

Welcome back Mary, we missed you! Your one of the key people involved in this, so get your 84 square foot flag ready, and get Tony psyched, because Sept 14th is less than 4 months away…..

From every mountainside, let freedom ring……

MMM

Thanks, Frodo.

Tony and I have marked it on our Calendar. I think I can round up a few more hikers, too.

Greg

Only a month or so left on this poll. Come on everyone! Let’s spread the word!!!

Greg

Well, yesterday was the official launch of the event, so this poll is probably no longer needed. We will continue to provide support for this event in the form of the Flags on the 48 Web site and these forums.

I’m going to “un-sticky” this topic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The topic ‘Enthusiasm’ is closed to new replies.