Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion An e-mail from an observer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
      #47245 |

Original Message

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:48 PM
      To: flags05@flagsonthe48.org
      Subject: peace……

I plan to help out next year by contacting local and national news media
      to bring attention to this event in New England…….
      However, I am honestly offended by a number of your claims and
      comments. The attacks on the World Trade Center claimed the lives of
      almost 3,000 people from over 80 countries. Why are you suggesting
      flying the American flag? As devastating and horrible as this attack
      was, it was not unprevoked. Could you tell me what exactly is a
      ‘justifiable’ terrorist attack?? How about Shock and Awe? My country
      murdered many Iraqis and destroyed the infrastructure of a major city
      and a matter of hours. And the world knows that this attack was
      unprovoked. And just what is a hero?? How do you define ‘innocent
      people’??

I feel there is a much different way to get your message across without
      all this ‘America is the best’ rhetoric. Get real and read the history
      of our country’s foreign policies. Work for world peace and encourage
      flags from around the world…a peace flag…an earth flag…No country
      is an island……

Respectfully…….
      Jade Mortimer

Stephen

My response:

Jade,

Please spend more time on the site to learn why people are participating in this event.

We love our country and what happened to us was 100% underserved. We were attacked because others hated us and what we stand for.

You’ll find disagreement in the community about how others have responded to the event. But we are in agreement that we want to remember that this event DID happen, while much of the world has chosen to forget.

I define innocent people as those in the tower who had to choose between death and death, death by fire, or death by leaping from the 92nd floor.

I believe America IS the best country on earth. If you have a better solution, then please, by all means pursue it. But millions of immigrants every year risk their lives to get here, because it is better than where they are coming from.

We stood alone to free a country from a dictator. Integrity means doing what is right, not doing what is popular. My response to anyone who says “Most of the world disapproves, so we should stop” is to say “most of the country elected the government we have, so there is no need to object to what they do.” Both statements are heinous and fallacies. Your lack of understanding of world politics in both war and peace disappoint me. No peace has EVER been obtained without decisive military victory. Ever.

I am glad that we offend you. It is a better response than apathy. You are welcome to fly whatever flag you want.

We’ve had members fly POW-MIA, other country’s flags, and Louisiana flags this year.

I realize that I’ve mixed in my personal views in my response above. So I will post your message along with my response on the website so that others may add on.

I will tell you this; our statement by flying the flags on the 48 is 100% non-political, non-financial and non-partisan. I have learned that any attempt to make it otherwise would kill it in a heartbeat.

-Stephen

mtnpa

I see this event as a tribute to the victims. Many were simply innocent bystanders, and some were heroes who chose to risk their lives in order to save others. To me the flag is a symbol of what makes this the greatest country in the world. I look at the American flag and see a land where opportunities are available to all, and all can come and go as they please.

:flag: God Bless America :flag:

Dirt

Talk like this only further drives me to participate for years to come. It is a memorial for the victims, all victims, not just Americans. See you all next year. Peace.

Pucknuts

:angry: There are many great countires out there….please find one!

:flag: Bill

Outtabreath

Jade
                I would like to try to get by next year without your help. Thanks but no thanks.

Chris

We’re all dreaming if we think Jade is going to read these comments. And that’s fine by me. She seems to be the kind of person who wants to incite passion (albeit the negative kind) by making comments urging everyone to see her side while actively ignoring everyone else’s. I say we ignore her comments and move on. Let’s not justify this fanatic’s efforts or even dignify them with a response. She obviously has no idea why we’re doing what we’re doing.

Brownie

uh, the reseaon we choose to fly the American flag is…because we are IN America?
                    :flag:

America: Love it ….or go elsewhere…

I can also 2nd the suggestion; we don’t need “help” next year on FOT48 for protest.
                    I think the American flag should always be the primary required flag for this event, to be properly displayed according to Gov approved methods.
                    Any other flag is welcome in addition, which has already been established here at FOT48.

Brownie

Stephen

There’s really nothing moreto add to this, I believe, at this point. Locked.

-Stephen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The topic ‘An e-mail from an observer’ is closed to new replies.