Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Look who took Willey! Way to go!

@pedxing wrote:

It is however real motivation for me to work hard on my rehab.

I guess so, choosing Willey as your peak. How is it coming in from the A-Z side? I only remember the hard slog up from Ethan Pond with a full pack.

Either way I hope you feel well enough to give it a go. We’re all pulling for you.

MichaelJ

The Avalon Trail starts out climbing moderately to the A-Z junction. From there it goes up a very steep section, albeit with nice steps. This lasts just about until you can’t stand it any more, then it levels out and passes Mt. Avalon’s summit side trail. From there it’s a very nice walk across a small ridgecrest and into a shallow sag, before another moderate but not bad climb up to the Field summit. From there it’s an easy walk (not unlike Starr King to Waumbek) over to Willey.

Take your time on that first stretch and I think you’ll be fine. Bring plenty of water, there’s none up there.

rbhayes

I also see a couple of people have siged up for two peaks (Hancocks and Osceolas) Are we sure they are planning on being at both peaks versus having mistakenly signed up for one and then signing up for the one they really wanted. Is there a way to un-sign up for a peak?

Stephen

@rbhayes wrote:

I also see a couple of people have siged up for two peaks (Hancocks and Osceolas) Are we sure they are planning on being at both peaks versus having mistakenly signed up for one and then signing up for the one they really wanted. Is there a way to un-sign up for a peak?

Yes, I have confirmed that in both cases, they will cover both peaks.

-Stephen

SilentCal

Pedxing Good luck on your comeback! It’s great to see your name up on the board. Just wondering if any of the reserved peaks have been signed up for. Maybe we should leave them reserved until August and then allow anyone to sign up for them so we can make sure they get taken.
              We have the Carrigain, Monroe and Osceola groups staying at one place in Lincoln. We could meet there on Friday night for a last minute meeting.

Ditto on MichaelJ’s comment for Dirt Girl on Zealand.

I got another idea. To stress that we would like pictures of the flagged summits, how about a photo contest. Don’t know what we could offer but how about throwing everyone’s name in a hat and whomever wins gets to pick first next year as to which mountain to flag. Just an idea.

MtnMagic

Pedxing,

You wowed me and I’m certain everyone reading posts you are hiking Willey is the most positive goal I’ve heard in a long time.

Happy trails to you, this is wonderful!

pedxing

Thanks Smitty, Cal, MJ and Mtn.

Things continue to move a lot faster than predicted and I’m feeling pretty confident about doing Willey – especially if I start early enough to allow for some rest. Right now I’m doing a sequense of 5.5 miles on a bicycle followed by 2.25 miles on foot (around Fresh Pond) and another mile on bicycle. Next step will be to do some loops around the Middlesex Fells.

I’ve got a couple people comitted to going with me, which will be good backup

TenPeaks

pedxing: I’ll be carrying the flag up to Mt. Field with my wife and a friend or two. Let me know if we can be of any assistance. I’m hoping to get an early start (8:00am-ish) so I can spend some time on Avalon before heading up to Field.

pedxing

Thanks Ten Peaks. I’m hoping not to need help beyond the people going with me, but it’s great to know I have some back up.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • The topic ‘Almost halfway!’ is closed to new replies.