Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #46747 |

I just would like to toss some afterthoughts that found their way to my brain after reading some posts and viewing some of the image gallery.

1. There seemed to be many young children and first time hikers participating in this event. I can not think of a better way to introduce the outdoors to anyone. Kids will carry the experience for a lifetime and new hikers will hopefully come to enjoy a new found hobby.

2. For as much as this event got flamed in some other boards, many people reported very positive encounters with other hikers. I think we will all remember the kind words and reactions we received for quite some time. Everyone also, seems to be proud to have been a part of it.

3. Flagpole designs and displays were creative and unique. Every mountain group had a different plan but we still managed to get the job done, even with the strong winds.

4. I need a digital camera.

That’s enough for now maybe i’ll think of something later……

LiveFreeorDie NH

Looking through the images on the galleries really do stir up some emotions.

I have to agree with you silentcal it is very nice to see the youngsters getting involved with the outdoors at an early age. One of my favorite pics posted thus far is the one of the 15 month old on Mount Field.

Also congrats to Cody for completing his 9th 4k on Mt carrigan, and Mac on his first born son Levi.

I think I might have to start looking into a digital camera as well.

Max

SilentCal, look into a digital camera, you’ll never go back to film again. For a wealth of information, check this site, lots of reviews, a BBS, etc.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I’ll also offer my congrats to Cody on his 9th on Carrigain…keep it going! Coincidentally, a number of years ago, Carrigain was my son’s 48th 4000 footer. And my first Grandson, also Levi, will be starting in his footsteps in a few years as soon as he’s old enough to start hiking.

You meet the nicest people hiking……and it’s good for you!

Max

Greg

I didn’t fully realize how this event would impact me until the past few days after seeing all the peaks with flags in the Gallery. On a mountain like Madison, we knew our best chance for spotting a flag would be Adams (sorry we missed it SuperDave). We were wondering what the turn-out on all the other peaks would actually be. With all the activity on the summit, chatting with friends and passersby, the two hours passed so quickly. I didn’t get as much of a chance to reflect on why we were doing this as I would have liked to. Seeing all these great photos has given me that chance.

I feel the event was a huge success. Every single participant, whether you carried pieces of a flagpole cleverly constructed from PVC pipe, flew a flag kite on Lincoln, or just stopped for a second to appreciate what we were doing, you were truly part of something special that demonstrated unity as hikers and Americans.

And yes, there was some negativity about the event. I received an Email condemning the event, but what do you know, it was just another knee-jerk reaction from someone that didn’t have all the facts and thought we were going to leave the flag displays on the summits. And of course there were the threads on the AMC forums, most of which seemed to use this event as springboards into political debates. As I saw it, we were not making a statement; there was no political agenda; and we were certainly not trying to change the world. It didn’t really matter whether you are a Republican or a Democrat; a Left-wing Liberal, a Right-wing Conservative, or somewhere in between. We’re all Americans and the patriotism and unity demonstrated on Saturday is what makes this country so strong.

Mac’s story of his first son being born on 9/11 was touching and hits close to home as my wife and I are expecting our first. Mac, you were on West Bond that day, at least in spirit. By honoring those that no longer have the chance to experience how precious life is, I hope each of us now value life in new ways. I took a lot from this experience.

Thank you to all that participated.

RJ

I would like to extend my personal thanks to all the hikers who participated in this event and a special thank you to Greg and Frodo for making this event possible. Well done!

Greg

@RJ wrote:

I would like to extend my personal thanks to all the hikers who participated in this event and a special thank you to Greg and Frodo for making this event possible. Well done!

Likewise RJ. You played a key role by offering to accept signups. You did a tremendous job and things wouldn’t have went so smoothly without you. Thank you.

RJ

Thank you for your kind words Greg. This event was most definitely a cooperative effort and everyone involved should be proud of his or her accomplishment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The topic ‘Afterthoughts’ is closed to new replies.