Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
      #64781 |

Could the peak coordinator for Adam’s get in touch with us about a plan to hike? Just wondering what trail, what time, and what are we doing about a flag? Thank you

SemperGumby

Any updates?

LucDube

Nothing yet from the peak coordinator. We’ll figure it out this week

Bobby Mc

I’m supposed to be signed up for Adams on Saturday. I will help with whatever needs to be done.

DawsonTR17

Hello everyone sorry for the delay in the planning. I’d like to take a second just to introduce myself my name is Thomas Dawson, I’m an avid NH hiker and former Eagle Scout. This is my second time hiking for this cause however I have 10 other 4000 footers under my belt. In my spare time I volunteer as a Team Leader for a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) group, organizing and assisting on Search and Rescue events Southern NH.

Looking at the available maps on alltrails, we’ve decided on using the Airline Trail to reach the summit. The trail starts off of the Appalachia Trailhead parking lot. This is located off of Route 2 in Randolph NH. The parking lot is also labeled as the start of the Mount Madison trail system. (GPS Position 44°22’17″N 71°17’20″W)

The round-trip distance for this trail is approximately 7.5 miles, which means it’s 3.75 miles each direction. Also the altitude gain is approximately 4,432 ft.

Our plan is to meet up at the parking lot at 5:30 a.m. and to begin ascension at 6 a.m. (sunrise is also set to occur at 6:22 a.m.). This should give us 4 hours before we need the flag to be planted on the summit. The hike speed shouldn’t be an issue as long as we keep to a 60-75mins/mile pace up the mountain.

We have a large flag with sectional center rods and guide wires. So we can have the flag at whatever height the wind speed will allow us at that altitude. However the more American flags the merrier!

Also myself and several members of my group are ham radio operators, if anyone else wants to bring their units. (KC1KQA). I would recommend programming them with the CHIRP software for the standard stations in the White Mountains National Forest. We may have difficulty with reception given the terrain around this area.

If anyone has any questions or input on this plan please feel free to comment! If not, see you all bright and early on 9/11 at 5:30 a.m. at the Appalachia Trailhead on Rte 2!

-Thomas Dawson

DawsonTR17

***REVISED PLAN***

I just realized that flag time is 12-2 not 10-12.

With this change we should be meeting at the parking lot at 6:30am. And plan to begin hiking at 7 a.m. on the DOT. No need to begin too early.

This revised start time should put us on the summit around 11 a.m.

Again I apologize for the confusion but be at the Appalachia trailhead parking lot for 6:30 a.m. on 9/11.

chrisdube

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.

LucDube

We’ll be at the parking lot early. Gonna be busy. Thanks for the update

DawsonTR17

I’m wearing a tan sweatshirt, grey snapback, and green pants. I’ll be standing by the trail head sign

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.