Forums 2010 Flags on the 48 2010 Publicity & Media Watch Wildcat Mt web site

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Pacemaker
    Post count: 16
    #47904 |

    One of the staff members from Wildcat mountain came to the summit platform and asked if he could take our pic and post it on their web site. I have attached the link to their site. I also understand that the Wildcat D pic made it on the NH news Saturday night…(I did not see it but was told we were there).

    The entire staff at Wildcat were great, very friendly, and offered assistance if we needed it…how cool is that! When each of them found out what was going on, they all would thank us for taking the time and effort to do this. :flag:

    http://www.skiwildcat.com/display_image.html?id=915

    SilentCal
    Moderator
    Post count: 1285

    Awesome, glad they were made aware of it. Nice to the platform is open again and has a great view.

    Thanks Scott for your efforts!

    bikehikeskifish
    Post count: 25

    They made darn sure, in all their usages of FOT48 and this photo, that they stated /their/ flag was at half mast per order of the governor.

    Should all the flags on the 48 have been flown at half mast? Who would have known?

    Tim

    tfr
    Participant
    Post count: 104

    @bikehikeskifish wrote:

    They made darn sure, in all their usages of FOT48 and this photo, that they stated /their/ flag was at half mast per order of the governor.

    Should all the flags on the 48 have been flown at half mast? Who would have known?

    Tim

    We’ve never done that before. We are not agents of the state, just citizens who remember.

    Paradox
    Participant
    Post count: 32

    @bikehikeskifish wrote:

    They made darn sure, in all their usages of FOT48 and this photo, that they stated /their/ flag was at half mast per order of the governor.

    Should all the flags on the 48 have been flown at half mast? Who would have known?

    Tim

    I think that they are refering to the flag they have flying at the entrance to the resort.

    HikerFedEx
    Participant
    Post count: 33

    We wondered that too. I’m sure half mast is more appropriate for true respect. But it would pose serious logistics in some cases – namely the taller masts and wooded summits.

    I suppose in theory we could add lightweight weaker mast sections to the top of our poles, to simulate flying our FOT48 at half mast. (For those of us who use a halyard/pulley system we could add a lightweight top section to very briefly raise the flag to full mast, the quickly lower it to the stronger half mast height.

    Any thoughts??? 8)

    Pacemaker
    Post count: 16

    Not always does the event of FOT48 fall on the exact date of 9/11, so the half mast question might be limited to the specific date.

    I believe that the event of FOT48 is multi purpose; in that it illustrates the unity, determination, and strength that a diverse group of people can come together for a common cause. This cause (FOT48) is to honor the history of that day, the people that were killed, but I also believe that it also honors the men and woman around the world who are serving and protecting our country. These service men and women provide us with the freedom to carry a flag and a pole to the summit of a mountain and raise it high so that every one can see that we are still proud, free, united, and strong.

    The events of 9/11/2001 were tragic and devastating to this country however I believe the (FOT48) event now serves as an event to demonstrate our strength and pride in our country so in that vane the flags should be flying high and proud.

    :flag:

    My 2 cents.

    tfr
    Participant
    Post count: 104

    @Pacemaker wrote:

    but I also believe that it also honors the men and woman around the world who are serving and protecting our country. These service men and women provide us with the freedom to carry a flag and a pole to the summit of a mountain and raise it high so that every one can see that we are still proud, free, united, and strong.

    Good point! We met an Iraqi vet on N. Twin a few years ago, that was a special moment!

    mmChris
    Keymaster
    Post count: 880

    @HikerFedEx wrote:

    We wondered that too. I’m sure half mast is more appropriate for true respect. But it would pose serious logistics in some cases – namely the taller masts and wooded summits.

    I suppose in theory we could add lightweight weaker mast sections to the top of our poles, to simulate flying our FOT48 at half mast. (For those of us who use a halyard/pulley system we could add a lightweight top section to very briefly raise the flag to full mast, the quickly lower it to the stronger half mast height.

    Any thoughts??? 8)

    I simply don’t think the half mast rule applies in all cases. It’s just not realistic to hike a flag pole up a mountain and only use half of it. Much like those little flags on sticks that you hold in your hand, are you going to lower them to half mast? I don’t think so.

    JustJoe
    Participant
    Post count: 46

    Well, when the event falls on the 11th we could do this. Or just do it every year.

    Some flags, like the ones commonly seen in school classrooms or on houses, are fixed in a certain position on their poles. How does one handle the sticky situation of a flag that physically can’t be flown at half-staff? The United States Code doesn’t cover this conundrum, but the American Legion advocates adding a black ribbon to the top of the flag’s pole to indicate mourning.

    mmChris
    Keymaster
    Post count: 880

    I like this solution a lot. Very simple, respectful and no one has to hire an engineer to modify their flag pole to account for a half mast requirement.
    :beer:

    Pacemaker
    Post count: 16

    @jdr6453 wrote:

    Well, when the event falls on the 11th we could do this. Or just do it every year.

    Some flags, like the ones commonly seen in school classrooms or on houses, are fixed in a certain position on their poles. How does one handle the sticky situation of a flag that physically can’t be flown at half-staff? The United States Code doesn’t cover this conundrum, but the American Legion advocates adding a black ribbon to the top of the flag’s pole to indicate mourning.

    @Chris wrote:

    I like this solution a lot. Very simple, respectful and no one has to hire an engineer to modify their flag pole to account for a half mast requirement.

    I also like this solution. As for the American Legion guidelines, this is what I have found.

    “For flags that can’t be lowered, such as those on many homes, the American Legion says that attaching a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag is an acceptable alternative. The ribbon should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag.”

    This idea / solution should be considered by the FOT48 committee for implementation when the hike falls on the 11th.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘2010 Publicity & Media Watch’ is closed to new topics and replies.