Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
      #46951 |

Wildcat D will have a flag on it September 11 for sure. I was (slightly) disappointed that I couldn’t claim a peak earlier as they were all grabbed up quickly, and now I have this opportunity with Wildcat D, I feel very fortunate. I may be hiking 19-mile brook trail to carter hut and then over “A” to “D” but this may change, but I’ll be there, and I hope to see others!!! :flag:

Dirt

I would love to hear from others if anyone is planning to be on Wildcat D this year…

TenPeaks

A couple of friends of mine are hiking across the Wildcat ridge from Carter Notch with an AMC group. They are well aware of the flags on the 48 so you will definitely not be alone on the summit.

Dirt

excellent! that’s great to hear. i’m looking forward to meeting everyone who shows.

Frodo

Korphine,

Were you one of the people who signed our guest book on Jefferson? The woman who was hiking with her 2 kids?

Glad you are participating on Wildcat D. You are definitely making a difference, and if you raise your flag on the tower, it will likely be seen by numerous peaks, and possibly Rt 16…

Thanks for being a part of this…

Dirt

Frodo:

I was at the summit just minutes before you and littlebear?? arrived. unfortunately i didn’t sign the book, perhaps i’ll get the chance to do that someday. i had soloed the peak not expecting a flag-raising or anything other than a few people enjoying the views. i sat back and took it all in, promising myself to be on a peak for the following year. you’ve captured me in one of your photos (labelled “looking north”) i’m the one on the left, looking at the flag, shorts/blue shirt fixing my belt… that was quite a day, and i’m looking forward to the opportunity to raise a flag on Wildcat D. the only thing that will keep me from putting a flag on the tower will be lightning…i’ll keep an eye towards adams, and i’ll definitely have lots of pictures. :flag:

TrekMan

I will be there with “Dirt” … and we will get the flag and pole set this week. I am also glad to participate in the Flags on the 48 and especially with my son. Practiced yesterday on Lafayette & Lincoln. 8)

TrekMan

We are now planning to go up the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch. Liklihood that we would start up the Lost Pond Trail about 7:30 to 8:00 after breakfast at Highland Ctr – staying at Shapleigh Bunkhouse. 8)

TrekMan

We headed out from Pinkham Notch Visitor’s Center just about 8:30 with the load divided between Jim (Trekman) and Christian (Dirt) Merchant. The Lost Pond Trail was beautiful and picturesque at that time. Soon we hit the Wildcat Ridge Trail and “up” became our mantra. We were lucky – we spotted Wildcat E just before 11:30 – and then on to the observation tower of Wildcat D. The pole went together quickly and we had the flag waving at about 11:45. Two women on the deck when we got there took pics with our camera. The breeze kept the flag whispering for maybe the first hour and then it was quite still.

We had maybe 50 to 60 visitors during our 2-hour stay at the top, one a red fox that was very docile (see our pics) and a German hiker helped hold the flag as we folded it up at 2:15. We had a journal out and have maybe a dozen shared thoughts in it. We will save it for next year too. The Wildcat D crew was able to spot the flags on Carter Dome, Madison, Adams, and Washington, and pretty sure one on either South or Middle Carter. The day was fantastic.

Wildcat D crew were first to Mooseland at about 4:30. When we told the waitress that there were 80 to 100 coming she said, “You’re joking, right?!” All the others at the Grill knew but had not told her! It was a great feeling seeing all the hikers involved in this great event. We are hooked – will be there every year now. Thanks for letting us participate and for all the organizational work.

-Jim & Christian Merchant

skimom

Trekman and Dirt,

Great pics of the flag and so great to meet both of you at the Mooseland afterwards.

What a great job (at the last minute) getting a flag together and going up Wildcat D (no small feat)!!

You guys are terrific and sharing some cold ones with you was my pleasure.

Hope to meet up with you again real soon.

TrekMan

Thanks skimom for the kudos. It was nice to meet and sit with the cold ones. We did not have a lot of time as you said – grabbed Wildcat D on 9/2 when it become available. Next year we will have more of a plan … and I like the idea of formally getting a team together before the hike.

8)

TrekMan

When Dirt and I arrived at the platform of Wildcat D’s observation deck, there were two women there. We told them the story of the memorial hike and they went about happily taking pictures. We handed them some info that I had printed out (words from Little Bear I believe) and also passed along my e-mail address and the FOT48 website address. Well, One of them, Anita, posted a few pics of us on her website. Follow the link at the bottom of the page when you go here: http://www.harriscom.com/index.htm :flag:

It was great to see the interest of many of the visitors – my son told me that two young women hikers that we spoke to left with teary eyes. 😥

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • The forum ‘2004 Summit Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.