Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
      #64764 |

Fellow Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and honor our 9/11 heroes by flying American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….

This year we have chosen Mount Whiteface to hike and raise our flag on Saturday September 11, 2021. Mount Whiteface is located in the Sandwich Range Wilderness. Its summit elevation is at 4,019 feet. The true summit is wooded but slightly below the summit (where we’ll raise the flag); are broad ledges that afford magnificent views.

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trailhead.

The hike up Mount Whiteface via the Blueberry Ledge trail is 3.9 miles and has an elevation gain of 2,850 feet and should take us approximately 3.5 hours to get to the summit.
      The AMC guide book describes the trail as very scenic, but the upper part is steep and requires some rock scrambling. Could be particularly difficult when wet.
      The summit is wooded in some areas and exposed in others; and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 8.5 hours; 3.5 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3.0 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

We’ll meet at the trailhead around 8:00 and get on the trail soon after. I will have the same flagpole and our American flag that we have used since 2006.

Directions to the trailhead from Exit 24 in Ashland: It’s basically; I-93 to exit 24, right at end of the ramp, follow US-3 South to NH-113, then NH- 113A to Frencroft Rd, looking for parking at trailhead.

Below are detailed directions I go off of a website.

Take exit 24 off I-93 where you will end up on US-3/NH-25 towards Ashland/Holderness. Turn right onto Route 25 / E/US-3 / S/Daniel Webster Highway and follow for 4.4 miles. Turn left onto route 113 / Squam Lake Road and follow for 11.7 miles. Turn left onto route 113 / E/Maple Street and follow for 3.7 miles. Continue to follow route 113A W for 6.7 miles. Instead of turning onto the same route (113A) at a sharp 90 degree angle, you will stay straight onto Ferncroft Road. The parking lot is down the road on the right.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy. It will be great to see everyone again – and all new hikers are welcome. I will have further info and updates that I will send out as we get closer to the date. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call or send me a note

Happy trails.

Dave
      Dacormier8789@gmail.com

2003–Hale, 2006-Osceola, 2007-Moosilauke, 2008-North Twin, 2009-Jackson, 2010-Willey, 2011-Garfield, 2012-South Twin, 2013-South Kingsman, 2014-Jefferson, 2015-Carrigain, 2016-Pierce, 2017-Flume, 2018-Middle Tripyramid, 2019-Eisenhower. 2020-Liberty. 2021-Whiteface

Team Davey

We’re all set to go – Be prepared for high winds. I’ve got our American Flag and flagpole all set to go. It’s the same setup that we’ve used for the last 15 years.
        See you at the trailhead!

Dave

Team Davey

Great job yesterday on our 2021 FOT48 hike to Whiteface – please send me any pictures you have and if you want to be on my FOT48 mailing list please email me at dacormier8789@gmail.com

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.