Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Updated FOT48 History

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #47061 |

As we begin forming the foundation of the 2005 Memorial Hike, I thought an updated history was in order.
      I have made an attempt but I expect your feed back to give this the reflection of all of our emotions and opinions.
      It’s good to be back, I have missed you all.

dirt_girl
      :flag:

dirt_girl

The “Flags on the 48” event was established in response to the horrific terrorist attacks that took place in America on September 11, 2001
        Three days after the attacks several regular on-line posters, to the AMC Hiker Journal message forum, banded together and planned a hike the following day. Intent on raising the largest American flag they could find from the summit of Mt. Liberty.
        On September 15, 2001, six hikers met at the White House Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a wealth of pride and determination. A slight gesture of compassion for such a horrific loss, the American flag was raised on the summit of Mt. Liberty, paying tribute to the thousands of innocent people who perished in the attacks. This patriotic display received such tremendous amounts of positive feedback that a committee was formed to establish a larger, annual memorial. The “Flags on the 48” was given life.
        On September 14, 2002 and again on September 13, 2003, several hundred patriotic and compassionate hikers embarked on a collective journey to raise American flags on all 48 of the 4,000+ foot summits in New Hampshire. This tribute, to the sacrifice of life and our strength of unity as a nation, remains small in the scope of the enormity of all that has been lost. What began as a small tribute had gained tremendous support and involvement.
        On September 11, 2004, for the first time in the history of the event, all 48 of the 4000+ summits hosted Old Glory! She was carried to the peaks by dedicated bands of hikers wishing to pay their respects to the all the families and communities that grieve the ultimate and tragic loss of innocent lives. We haven’t forgotten the men and women who have unselfishly served and sacrificed to preserve our liberty. An American flag was unfurled from every mountain top with pride, compassion and humble gratitude.
        From every mountain top, let freedom ring.

MichaelJ

I suggest the following:

Three days after the attacks, several regular users of the AMC’s Internet bulletin board joined together and planned a hike for the following day, intent on raising the largest American flag they could find from the summit of Mt. Liberty.

and slight rewordings:

On September 15, 2001, these six hikers …

and

On September 14, 2002, and again on September 13, 2003, several hundred patriotic and impassioned hikers …

Take out the commas in the “This tribute to the sacrifice” sentence.

Who has a good “On September 11, 2005, the hiking community will again…” closer?

dirt_girl

Thanks MichaelJ. 😀
            I made the changes you suggested and also posted a copy of the updated history in the 2005 Planning Meeting forum as alot of people are looking there for current information.
            dirt_girl

Stephen

AS per dirtgirl’s request, please continue discussion here

-Stephen

P.S. Thread locked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The topic ‘Updated FOT48 History’ is closed to new replies.