Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Publicity & Media Watch Time for a press release

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
      #46761 |

We should probably put together a good ol’ fashioned press release at this point to get new people involved in the sign-ups. We are now just over 50% covered.

Is there anyone with experience/interest in putting this together. The historical and mission parts are already assembled. We just need to get this year’s details together along with mission and history in a complete consise release.

Any volunteers?

-T

SilentCal

Mediahound wrote a nice piece last year for the Telegraph. Perhaps that could be one way to go. Any type of press release would have to mention the possible hazards of hiking (Foul weather, getting lost). We would not anyone to have a bad experience doing this by getting in way over their heads. Encourage small groups and LNT. Hopefully we can get full coverage and the weather cooperates.

Mediahound

Greetings,
          My plan for this year is to include the preview as part of my column for Sept. 5, at the very least. I’d like to cover it, too, but I’m at the mercy of other planners for that part.
          So at least The Telegraph will have the preview type news… I couldn’t speak for my colleagues/competitors at other newspapers, but I do know that the best way to ensure the press release hits the right desk is to send it to these addresses:
          writeus@theunionleader.com
          mprowland@fosters.com
          news@keenesentinel.com
          jdeconto@seacoastonline.com
          news@citizen.com
          DailySun@mountwashingtonvalley.com
          berlinreporter@salmonpress.com
          etimes@cyberportal.net
          KarenHLadd@newsandsentinel.net
          news@cmonitor.com
          There’s others, of course, and if you want to surf a little, here’s a place that has links to everybody: http://www.usnpl.com/nhnews.html
          Non-newspapers? Uh, beats me.
          – Mediahound

Stephen

Foster’s is interviewing me tonight… so no need to hit them too hard.

I believe that Frodo’s Statement (as it’s come to be know) will be developed into our press release. I’ll work on that tonight.

Stephen

Greg

@the8re wrote:

I believe that Frodo’s Statement (as it’s come to be know) will be developed into our press release. I’ll work on that tonight.

Hey Stephen! Let me know if you worked on this at all. I’m going to send out an announcement to the E-Newsletter subscribers.

Stephen

Here is the text. Please comment:

03 September 2003
                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The second annual “Flags on the 48”, a memorial of 9/11, will be taking place on Saturday, September 13, 2003 in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The “Flags on the 48” event was established because of the horrific terrorist attack that took place on September 11, 2001. On September 14, 2001, several regular posters on the AMC Hiker Journal on-line message forum banded together and planned a following day-hike up Mount Liberty with the biggest flag they could acquire.

The following day, 6 hikers met at the “White House” Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot American flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a mountain of pride and determination. At noon the flag was raised on the summit of Mount Liberty in a tribute to the thousands of innocent people who perished a few days earlier; a small gesture for such a gigantic loss.

The patriotic gesture received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, and a few weeks later a committee formed to establish a larger memorial for the one year anniversary. A website was established at http://flags.alpinezone.com, and the “Flags on the 48” was born.

During the first “Flags on the 48” which took place on September 14, 2002, several hundred patriotic compassionate souls embarked on a journey to raise American flags on all of the summits of the 48 4,000+ foot mountains in New Hampshire. Although still a small gesture for such an incredible loss, the feedback from all of the participants as well as observers was overwhelming.

On September 13, 2003, we are continuing this memorial to unite the hiking community in a show of support to all of the families and communities who suffered tragic losses that day, and to all of the people who have died serving this great country to preserve our freedom.

One of the coordinators, Greg Blasko, notes why some hikers participate in this memorial: “By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.”

For more information or to sign-up to plant a flag on one of the 48 peaks, visit http://flags.alpinezone.com or e-mail flags03@alpinezone.com.

END
                For questions on this release, please contact Stephen Dunhom,

Greg

I made some minor modifications:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

White Mountains, NH – September 3, 2003 – The second annual “Flags on the 48”, A September 11th Memorial Hike, will take place on Saturday, September 13, 2003 in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The “Flags on the 48” event was established because of the horrific terrorist attack that took place on September 11, 2001. Three days later, several regular posters on the AMC Hiker Journal on-line message forum banded together and planned a following day hike up Mount Liberty with the biggest flag they could acquire.

On September 15, 2001, six hikers met at the “White House” Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot American flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a mountain of pride and determination. At noon the flag was raised on the summit of Mount Liberty in a tribute to the thousands of innocent people who perished a few days earlier; a small gesture for such a gigantic loss.

The patriotic display received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, and a few weeks later a committee formed to establish a larger memorial for the one year anniversary. A Web site was established at http://flags.alpinezone.com and the “Flags on the 48” was born.

During the first “Flags on the 48” event on September 14, 2002, several hundred patriotic compassionate souls embarked on a journey to raise American flags on all of the summits of the 48 4,000+ foot mountains in New Hampshire. Although still a small gesture for such an incredible loss, the feedback from all of the participants as well as observers was overwhelming.

On September 13, 2003, we are continuing this memorial to unite the hiking community in a show of support to all of the families and communities who suffered tragic losses that day, and to all of the people who have died serving this great country to preserve our freedom.

One of the coordinators, Bob Williams, notes why some hikers participate in this memorial: “By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.”

For more information or to sign up to raise a flag on one of the 48 peaks, visit http://flags.alpinezone.com or E-mail flags03@alpinezone.com.

END

That quote at the end is an excerpt from the mission statement I believe initially written by Frodo. I made similar modification to the mission statement and the signage file. Thoughts?

Stephen

The “Flags on the 48” event was established because of the horrific terrorist attack that took place on September 11, 2001. Three days later, several regular posters on the AMC Hiker Journal on-line message forum banded together and planned a following day hike up Mount Liberty with the biggest flag they could acquire.

I’d recommmend “Three days after the attack…” instead, to avoid a possible antecedent issue.

Other than that looks great!

-T

Greg

Okay. Web and PDF updated. Here it is:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

White Mountains, NH – September 3, 2003 – The second annual “Flags on the 48”, A September 11th Memorial Hike, will take place on Saturday, September 13, 2003 in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The “Flags on the 48” event was established because of the horrific terrorist attack that took place on September 11, 2001. Three days after the attack, several regular posters on the AMC Hiker Journal on-line message forum banded together and planned a following day hike up Mount Liberty with the biggest flag they could acquire.

On September 15, 2001, six hikers met at the “White House” Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot American flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a mountain of pride and determination. At noon the flag was raised on the summit of Mount Liberty in a tribute to the thousands of innocent people who perished a few days earlier; a small gesture for such a gigantic loss.

The patriotic display received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, and a few weeks later a committee formed to establish a larger memorial for the one year anniversary. A Web site was established at http://flags.alpinezone.com and the “Flags on the 48” was born.

During the first “Flags on the 48” event on September 14, 2002, several hundred patriotic compassionate souls embarked on a journey to raise American flags on all of the summits of the 48 4,000+ foot mountains in New Hampshire. Although still a small gesture for such an incredible loss, the feedback from all of the participants as well as observers was overwhelming.

One of the coordinators, Richard Kipphut, notes why some hikers participate in this memorial: “By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts.”

For more information or to sign up to raise a flag on one of the 48 peaks, visit http://flags.alpinezone.com or E-mail flags03@alpinezone.com.

END

Frodo

Greg,

Looks great, but that line was actually written by RJ. You should replace my name with his.

Greg

@Frodo wrote:

Greg,

Looks great, but that line was actually written by RJ. You should replace my name with his.

Done. Did I spell his last name correctly?

Stephen

One more thing.. there should be a title after For Immediate Release.

Some suggestions:

2nd Annual Flags on the 48
                            Flags on the 48 memorial returns
                            Hikers remember 9/11 in New Hampshire

Greg

@the8re wrote:

Hikers remember 9/11 in New Hampshire

This would probably be most effective, IMHO.

Frodo

Greg,

Yes you spelled his name correctly.

As for the title, I vote for “Hikers remember 9/11 in New Hampshire”. People who don’t hike will not know what the 48 reference is.

Greg

How about:

Hikers remember 9/11 in New Hampshire’s White Mountains

That include all of the major keywords…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • The topic ‘Time for a press release’ is closed to new replies.