Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion The first FOT48

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
      #47828 |

I read the history page and it mentions the six hikers that started all this. just wondering why there are no photos of them or mention of their names?

SilentCal

This thread here might answer your questions.

http://forums.flagsonthe48.org/viewtopic.php?t=2006

backcountryexplorer

Frodo could vouch for my authenticity … it has been a long time. I think we might have last saw each other on Katahdin … just 2 weeks after the event.

I stumbled upon this site while doing research for a totally different project and was happy, dare I say a bit proud, to see that the even has carried on … even prospered. It is heartening to see so many people that still care and remember the fallen.

There are pictures and a video recording of the first event. If there is interest, I could post.

Rob

SilentCal

Nice to hear from you, backcountryexplorer. If you have photo’s please post them.

The original group, or at least as many as we could get, would be a nice touch for the 10th anniversary on Liberty.

backcountryexplorer

Thanks SilentCal,

Can’t say for sure that I would be there for the 10th anniversary but you never know ? I live on the west coast now. I’ll post some pics soon.

Looking over the site, I really am struck by how this has grown and been perpetuated. I played but a small role … carrying some PVC pipe and taking pictures and video … never would have thought that such a seemingly small act would mean so much to so many. Don’t want to philosophize about it too much. Frodo said it well in the history … it just felt like something needed to be done to deal with the grief we were collectively feeling and to show solidarity with our fellow Americans.

I hope that spirit of collectivism … of shared sacrifice, responsibility and call to action permeate more of society.

Rob
              Los Angeles, Calif.

SilentCal

It took a great deal many little steps to get to where the event is today. The first year of the event(2002), we got about 38-40 peaks covered for the year and needed the whole summer just to fill those slots. Now, on our sign-up day, we get 35-40 peaks signed up for within the first hour. We do still run into some snafus along the way but for a total volunteer effort, I’m quite pleased with the results.

SilentCal

Here is a pic of that first group.

SilentCal

Had the pleasure today to meet Gail atop Cannon. I thanked her for being a part of that founding group.

sno_gabe

Thanks for keeping it going. Hopefully they were all covered…Well done.

RichNH

Yes, This event has taken on a life of its own and it’s not surprising when you think on it. Thank you to our Founding Hikers for an outstanding idea and memorial event. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.