Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Taken from the summit sign….On September 15, 2001, six hikers met at the White House Trailhead armed with a 96 square foot flag, 30 feet of PVC tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a wealth of pride and determination. dirt_girl would like to know as well, who the six hikers were that started all this?

dirt_girl

Thank you Greg. I have been waiting for Frodo to comment on this. His thoughts and ideas, as well as the remaining 5 are in my opinion, without reservation the most important.

Greg

@NH_Mtn_Hiker wrote:

Question: Who are the original 6?

I not sure of all the initial six hikers, but I know Frodo, Gail Linehan, and Mary-Margaret were part of it. The original FOT48-2002 “committee” consisted of:

Frodo – could very well be considered the catalyst of the Flags on the 48 event.
          RJ – I don’t see Richard much online anymore, and not on here at all, but he was critical in the FOT48-2002 as he accepted all sign-ups via Email and manually updated the sign-up file.
          Gail Linehan and MMM – part of the original crew up Liberty in 2001, along with Frodo
          giffordpinchot – FOT48-2002 “committee” member
          Me – Originally this event’s Web presence was hosted on AlpineZone and I had a similar role as I do now as site designer, although Stephen is now adopting much of that.

There have been many other participants providing input along the way. Stephen came on board for FOT48-2003 as sign-up recipient and has now sort of taken the role as the primary administrator.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Thank you very much Greg. :flag:

Frodo

Hello Dirt_Girl,

You did a great job editing my original “history” summation, and I have no problems with Greg updating it.

As for the original 6:

After 3 days of being angry and confused, I started a thread on the AMC Hiker’s Journal on Sept 14th, 2001, looking for hikers to climb Mt Liberty with me to display a large flag. I owned a 3X5, and was looking for something bigger, so it could be seen from the summit. Margret Mary posted that she had a 8X12 (which was perfect!). We set a meeting time at the White House trailhead, and several other people emailed me stating that they would also be there.

At 9:00am, on the 15th, Myself, Margret Mary (MMM), her husband Tony (a Police Officer), Gail L., her friend Joe, and surprise, surprise, Rob (The_Back_Country_Explorer), shows up. I have hiked with Rob in the past, but he is the only one I know personally (I had seen many of Gail and MMM’s post’s on the AMC site).

At 9:00am we disperse the flag paraphernalia, and head up. After raising the flag, we experience what is hard to put into words…

Numerous hikers show up, some crying, some praying, some reflecting, many taking picures, and all thanking us for proudly displaying such a beautiful sight, something so many of us took for granted before Sept 11th. Soon a youth church group shows up, and they start praying and speaking their thoughts about the emotional time we are in. I will never forget that day, ever…

A few days later, we are all back online and decide to do something much grander for the 1 year anniversary. We form a committe, which Greg listed (and he was a key part of where we are today).

After organizing the 2002 event, Margret Mary disappeared. Spencer also fell back. RJ, who did what Stephen is doing now, also disappeared. Gail has participated every year, and Greg is still a key guy.

But the reason why we are still growing and improving is because of people like Greg, Stephen, SilentCal, MichealJ, MtnMagic, Jaytrek57, NH_Mtn_Hiker, and many others… Including you dirt_girl. Lets keep posting our thoughts to make this years event the best it can be…

dirt_girl

You are very gracious and considerate man, Frodo.

Thank you also for the vital history on this event and the people responsible for helping to achieve the events current recognition as a pilgrimage of honor and reverence. I am humbled by an event such as this. It serves to remind me of a personal debt. The price others have paid for my freedom.

dirt_girl

SilentCal

I plan on raising a Flag in the Whites every September 11th for as long as I am physically able to do so. We all have different reasons for participation and why we chose this particular way to honor those lost. The people that do the hiking make this event. From the monsterous flag displays on the Franconia Ridge and Presidentals to the small flag displays on the lesser known peaks, everyone who takes part is noble and sincere in the effort to memorialize this event and keep it going strong. So all Flagbearers, not just the ones mentioned in Frodo’s post, take a bow, I salute you!

dirt_girl

Absolutely.
                    Beautifully written SC.

dirt_girl

Frodo

Fantastic words SilentCal. Well done!

Greg

So….should I update the summit sign files with dirt_girl’s updates?

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Frodo seems to approve.
                          I approve, make it so. :flag:

SilentCal

No problems here!

Greg

Done:

Microsoft Word
                              Adobe PDF

Please let me know if you see any errors.

escendo

nice work on the sign, ladies and gentlemen. your dedication and thoughfulness is inspiring.

see y’all soon!

dirt_girl

Wow, done deal, good work and kudos to all. 😀
                                  Greg? I think “mountainside” is two separate words? At least it is two words in the original song…?
                                  My bad… just testing you guys 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.