Forums 2011 Flags on the 48 2011 Trips & Routes South Twin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
      #47944 |

We may do a simple out and back over North Twin, or set up a car spot to do a loop using the Gale River Trail. We’ll work out the details later in the summer. Start time is probably going to be in the 7-7:30am range.

This will be a dog-friendly hike & summit.

Rolly

Thanks Michael! I chose to join you and Sabrina this year on South Twin. Hope you guys don’t mind. I’d be willing to coordinate on a car spot for this. I’ll likely be bringing my dog Tigger along too. Sabrina met him (and helped me confirm my decision to change his name from Tiger to Tigger) on the trail adopter training day in June. Looking forward to another great year at this event!

Rolly

MichaelJ

Mind? Of course not! It will be a pleasure to have you and Tigger along. 🙂

obie-g

Hello,

Me, my wife Tonya, my brother Andrew have signed up to join you for this great tribute. My wife and I are novices when it comes to hiking, however my brother has bagged several peaks in the Whites.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do or contribute. We can coordinate for the car spot also.

Oh and my brother will hopefully bring his dog Viola.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and hiking together.

Greg

MichaelJ

Sounds good, Greg, thanks! Keep an eye out here in mid to late August for finalizing details. Hopefully you can get in some hikes in the meantime, there will be some rocky sections where practiced footing will be helpful, as well as just a lot of hiking with weight on our backs: 12 miles (total) with a bit over 3,000′ of vertical ascent.

una_dogger

Welcome to all! Sounds like this is shaping up to be a very dog friendly hike. Yay!
                Rolly, I am so happy to hear that you are bringing Tigger, he is such a sweetie!
                We will be bringing Terra but leaving our new puppy, Pemi, at home as she will be too young for a hike this size.
                Looking forward to meeting new friends and seeing old ones!

MichaelJ

Less than a month to go! We’ll start finalizing times and trailheads shortly, but it’s almost certainly going to be in the 7am range up the Gale River Trail with a stop at the hut (it will be open) along the way. We’ll be doing a car spot to come down the North Twin Trail afterward; anyone interested in participating in that, as opposed to doing their own thing back down to the hut and Gale River Trail, should let us know so we can coordinate enough seats for humans and dogs in those cars.

Rolly

Sounds great Michael! I’m in for the car spot as I’d much prefer to exit via a different route. I’ll be driving my Outback wagon so I’ll have some room for a passenger or two and gear. My dog Tigger will be joining us. We may come up on Saturday and do a shorter hike somewhere and stay over. Are you guys still at Ammonoosuc with Bob and Geri? Maybe I’ll try to grab a site there for Sat night. Also, I work in Waltham so let me know if you need any help with prepping the flag rigging etc. prior to that weekend.

Thanks for coordinating! :flag:

MichaelJ

Thanks, Rolly. I’m all set with the rigging, it’ll be the same setup I’ve used for quite a few years now. Participating in the car spot sounds great, we’ll try to leave as many cars at the endpoints as possible so that everyone has options. Yup, we’re at Ammo!

Rolly

All sounds good Michael. I will be coming up Saturday. I will likely be doing maintenance on the Tunnel Brook Trail then camping at Ammo. See you there!

MichaelJ

I’ll come up with a final plan and post it over Labor Day weekend.

For anyone interested, this is the flag rig that we’ll be using. It’s been on Isolation, Madison, and Garfield. A variation of it was used on West Bond. The same flag flew all those peaks (and possibly Carter Dome, I don’t remember). Given the number of people on the hike, I’ll probably bring extra parts to raise the flag even higher if the winds are mild.

una_dogger

Excellent!

I will be working on the N Twin Trail Friday 9/9 — recent reports say the the Gale River Trail is in good shape!

Just wonder I we should check with the AMC about the ascent of S Twin from Galehead Hut?

Irene could have waited until 9/12!

Rolly

Hey Mike and Sabrina,

My son Kenny aka DJ K-Mo has decided to join us on this as well. He’s all signed up and excited to go. He has some good hiking experience. Sabrina might remember meeting him up on Glen Boulder when she was with Kim during an April snowshoe a few years back and also at Terras 48 finish on Carrigain. We’re in for the car spot. I’m putting the Thule cargo box on for extra gear capacity and we have a site at Ammo for Sat night. We’ll be cleaning up from Irene on the Tunnel Brook trail all day Sat so we’ll see you after that. The long range forecast looks fantastic!!!

MichaelJ

We’ll have some novices with us, plenty of gear to be sorted out to people to help carry (hopefully someone brings baked goodies for the summit???), and about a 5.6 mile, 3200′ climb (apologies if that’s wrong, I’m going from memory). Combine all that and I come up with close to 4 hours to get there, plus a quick stop at the hut, plus we want the flag up for noon. I’m thinking that feet on trail 7-7:15am is desirable. That puts the time to leave the N Twin car spot at 6:45, given the slow drive from there to Gale River. Does this sound reasonable to participants?

Rolly

This all sounds good from our end Mike. It’s been a while since the other South Twin participants have chimed in here. Hopefully you’ll get their 2 cents soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • The forum ‘2011 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.