Forums 2015 Flags on the 48 2015 Trips & Routes South Twin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #48361 |

Welcome aboard!
      I hope the weather is more cooperative this year than it was last. In any case we’ll be hiking S. Twin via N. Twin from the Haystack Rd. Parking area.
      There are a several of us that (weather depending) are going to hike up Friday afternoon and camp somewhere near the summit, preferably on the South side. Saturday morning, we’ll slack pack it to the summit for the event and then return to our packs, and hit the Galehead summit and hut on the way out via the Galehead River Trail. We will drop a car on our way in Friday.

If weather makes it impractical, we’ll still hike the same route and meet at the trailhead approximately 6am and hike 5.5 miles to the summit. We should make it there before noon.

We have the poles, flag and ropes lined up.

I’m looking forward to hiking with you all!
      Thanks for your participation! :flag:

dmottram

Anyone who wishes to contact me to discuss details or anything else:

dtmjr60@hotmail.com
        or you can call me at (978) 212-9850

Dick B.

Looking forward to it Dale :flag:

dmottram

Hello all,

Getting excited to do this hike! I hope you are too πŸ™‚ :flag:

I’m waiting to see what the weather is going to do and will make a decision to crash camp somewhere around the S. Twin summit on Friday night (within the rules of course) or if it’s looking like rain, we’ll hike up Friday morning.
            If Friday, I plan on stepping off at the N. Twin trailhead at 6am.

We have 4 sections of pole that need to be carried up and down, and it would be nice to share the load among the hikers, both before and after.

If we decide to hike up Friday, I’ll place glow in the dark bands to find us off trail.. we’ll probably head up about 2pm and setup camp before dark (7ish).

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
            Dale

Dick B.

I’m waiting to see what the weather is going to do and will make a decision to crash camp somewhere around the S. Twin summit on Friday night (within the rules of course) or if it’s looking like rain, we’ll hike up Friday morning.
              If Friday, I plan on stepping off at the N. Twin trailhead at 6am.

Dale when you said if it rains you’ll hike up Friday morn. at 6am …Do you mean Saturday???? LOL

dmottram

Hi all,

I am SO excited to be hiking with you all again as well as meeting some new faces for a very special occasion. Thanks for participating.

There are a couple of options for hiking routes

Option 1

Haystack Rd Parking-North Twin-South Twin-Galehead Hut-Galehead-Galehead Hut- Galehead River Trail – Galehead Parking
                Haystack Rd to North Twin – 4.3 Miles via North Twin Trail
                North Twin – South Twin – 1.3 Miles via North Twin Spur Trail
                Total Book Time 4:25 hours – 5.6 miles

Option 2

Gale River Loop Parking-South Twin
                Gale River Loop Parking – Garfield Ridge Trail – 4.0 miles
                Garfield River Loop Trail – Galehead Hut – 0.6 Miles
                Galehead Hut – South Twin – 0.8 miles
                Total Book Time – 5:00 hours – 5.4 miles

Hiking Notes: There are water crossings (multiple on either trail) please be prepared… there are also side trails to avoid some, not all of them.

After the flag ceremony, for those who want to bag another close peak
                South Twin – Galehead Hut (maybe some refreshments) – 0.8 miles
                Galehead Hut – Galehead Summit – 0.5 Miles
                Galehead Summit – Galehead Hut – 0.5 miles
                Galehead Hut – Garfield River Loop Trail – 0.8 miles
                Garfield River Loop Trail – 4.0 miles
                6.6 Miles – 6:00 hours, probably more like 5:30 hours (yes, that means arriving in the dark) PLEASE be sure you bring at least one headlamp and a flashlight, spare batteries would be a good option.

Logisitics
                Eric and I are planning on hiking up Option 1, and then doing the optional hike on the way out.
                We are going to hit the TH at about 2pm Friday and plan on camping somewhere in the col between N and S Twin (we’re going to play it by ear)

If you come up Option 2, you can descend option 1 or do the optional peak with us.

If you’re going up 1 and coming down 2, or vise versa, we’re hoping that there will be drivers who are willing to help folks get to their cars at the other end if needed.

Planning
                If you chose option 1, you should plan on being at the Trailhead NLT 7am to allow enough time to get there. I’d suggest 6:30am
                If you chose option 2, you should plan on being at the Trailhead NLT 6:30am to allow enough time to get there. I’d suggest 6:00am

Equipment
                4 Poles – I have carriers for each pole, if you see someone carrying one, before or after the ceremony, please take the time to share the load. We can discuss at the summit where to drop them if you get out with them first.

Rope – Likewise I have someone that will be carrying the ropes. If you have a spare coil you could lend/donate please bring it along… you can never have enough. πŸ™‚

Flag – Is being provided by one of the other participants If someone has one that they want to bring along β€œjust in case” that would be great.. You never know what could happen and I like to have a plan B.

Hike safe, and enjoy the day. It’s currently looking like a b-e-a-utiful sort of day.

Dale
                Please call or email me if you have any questions.
                dtmjr60@hotmail.com
                (978) 212-9850

Dick B.

We are going up the North twin Tr & we are planning on being at the TH around 6:30am & start our hike…I have a flag that I flew on Garfield last yr & would like to fly again …..I will have to other people with me ….Looking forward to meeting everyone & nice weather…Fingers crossed πŸ˜€

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2015 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.