Forums 2013 Flags on the 48 2013 Trip Reports South Twin

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #48247 |

Anne, Ania, Andy, Dawn, Christina, Jason, and I started up the North Twin Trail around 0720. Not sure how the weather was elsewhere in the Whites, but the weather at the Twins was bright and sunny, 82 degrees without a cloud in the sky and very dry ground. Well, that was what we said when we started to keep an upbeat attitude that truly got better over the course of the fun hike. The real weather was closer to rainy, wet, and little to no visibility. The team got some help from another hiker and his son who were helping to build some bridges for some of the river crossings along the bushwhack. The first great adventure, and the point of no return came at the actual river crossing. After considering every rock scramble we could (or couldn’t) find, and considering the adventure of taking off our boots, the team chose to shimmy (scoot, whatever you want to call it) across the large log going over the river. After crossing the team continued its journey up, up and up to North Twin. After a short pause, the team headed via the North Twin Spur to South Twin. We used my telescopic flagpole, Anne’s straps, some long lines, and the anchors of some ‘crappy’ rocks to set up our flag. After about two hours, and a brief moment of silence, the team took down the flag and started down the Twinway to the Galehead Hut . Some of us enjoyed soup and coffee at the hut while those peakbaggers needing the mountain headed up the Frost Trail to get Galehead. At the hut, we joined Gwen to celebrate her birthday. The full group proceeded down the Gale River Trail coming out around 1900.

I want to thank everyone who joined us for a fantastic hike. It was a fun time, despite the muddy, rainy, and sloppy conditions. I hope to see all of them on the trail again in the future.

– LenDawg
      :flag:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2013 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.