Forums 2006 Flags on the 48 2006 Trip Reports South Kinsman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #47455 |

Dirt Girl, Ken and Peter Hansen made the 9 mile trek up and down for South Kinsman, arriving at 12 noon with a good wind to keep the flag flying – – around 1:30 the rain started – then the thunder – we got out of there as fast as we could (but there really wasn’t anyplace safe up on that peak, no trees to hide among) – it stopped as we were decending North Kinsman – then after we passed Lonesome Lake Hut, the thunder and rain came again and didn’t stop till we got back to the Broken Brance Campground (we were drenched)- it was a good hike even with the weather since i was in good company…

dirt_girl

I had never hiked with Ken before and he proved to be funny, interesting and most important…extremely patient.
        I slowed on the uphill (y’all know how I hate the uphill) and I paused briefly on numerous occasions to take silly pictures. Several times I stopped in my tracks just to visit with folks comin’ and goin’. A wonderful habit I developed while hiking with Magic. Ken never said a word about my dawdling; he would wait until he could see me and then disappear up the trail and into the forest again. Sometimes it felt like I was hiking with a ninja-hiker-ghost. We did hike together on the flat parts and the conversation was amusing.
        I discovered near the summit that the FOT48 hikers have a fan club! Liz and Dave chatted with me for a bit while Ken set up the flag. They watch the web site, read the posts and know several of us by trail name! They knew where some of us were hiking and were quite positive with their opinions of the FOT48 Event. The three of us watched the flag snap open with the wind and echoed a single response…wow. I wish to extend another invitation to them: come join us next year.
        At the summit just prior to the storm of storms, Peter showed up! He had signed up at the last minute and we didn’t know he was hiking. He made the trek alone and met us at the top around one-ish. Thanks Peter for participating in this event, see you again next year! After a quick visit, concerned about the darkening skies Peter started on his way back down. At about one-thirty we got some rain drops. We geared up as we could see the storm baring down. By the time we heard the first crack rip through the sky, Ken and I were scrambling for tree line; seeking trees taller than us to give shelter from the lightening!! This dark storm came swift and malicious!
        I’ve hiked in rain before and liked it but this dark heavy rain came with explosions of thunder and crackling spider webs of lightening just above our heads!! I was scared and making time down the trail but I couldn’t help but think of the last sounds nearly 3000 people heard on September 11 2001. I could taste my tears. Within the cover of the forest and the darkening skies, I was glad for the rain.
        Ken, Peter and I were reunited on the other side of N.Kinsmen and hiked awhile in sunshine, a very short while! From Lonesome Lake to the parking lot we hiked at full throttle in torrential rain with rolling thunder and lightening flashes. Drenched and cold we parted company with Peter at the trailhead. Ken and I made our way back to the campground and after the best hot shower I’ve ever had, everyone had a story to tell.
        We all seemed to experience a micro-nano-smigen of the fear felt by the 3000 souls ripped away from their place by senseless acts of terror.
        Grateful for the company of old friends and new faces; I enjoyed the food, the fellowship and the fire before crawling into my tent and drifting off to the wonderful sounds of hushed conversations and laughter.

Thank you all for being a part of this event.
        until we meet again… stay well…
        in peace
        dirt-girl

ken

@dirt_girl wrote:

he would wait until he could see me

sure i waited – you looked pretty good coming up the trail…
          @dirt_girl wrote:

everyone had a story to tell.

and if it wasn’t for the lightning we wouldn’t have had as much to talk about…

TrekMan

Dirt Girl – And here I was under the impression that you were shy and reserved! 😆
            I agree it was cool to see people on the trial or peak that were there because they knew the flags were coming. We were leap-frogging on the Osseo Trail up Flume with two young women that were anxious to see the flag up and waving. And when we got to Flume’s summit, a man had been there at 9:00 (we arrived about 1:15) who had mistaken the time – and waited 2+ hours! We had a crowded peak most of the time and many knew about the event. Last really cool thing – a woman with 3 dogs, all with saddle bags, came up JUST as we were headed out of the storm – said she had forgotten this was the day for the FOT48 hike … WE SAW HER ON MORIAH LAST YEAR!
            Cool time and cool to meet you all! Ken – did I meet you at KOA or … ?
            -TrekMan

dirt_girl

Ninjahiker, 8) why you wanna make me blush in front of all these people! 😳
              Lightening was definately the topic of conversation as was torrential rain, hypothermia, electrocution by flag pole and speed hiking! 😉

It was a good day, everyone got home safe! :flag:

Trekman, Part of the adventure is who you meet on the trail. :flag:
              I sure enjoyed meeting you, Krista and your tribe… you travel with a nice group of people!! 😀
              You and Dirt sure did a fine job with the traditional(flavor optional) FOT48 brew…
              :beer: I had a healthy second round. :beer: Thanks.

ken

@TrekMan wrote:

Ken – did I meet you at KOA or … ?
                -TrekMan

not sure – i met so many people that i never met before (and some that i had met 2 years before) that it is hard to remember everyone that i met – – i did most of my hanging out at the fire furthest from the bathrooms/office…

tfr

@dirt_girl wrote:

I discovered near the summit that the FOT48 hikers have a fan club! Liz and Dave chatted with me for a bit while Ken set up the flag. They watch the web site, read the posts and know several of us by trail name! They knew where some of us were hiking and were quite positive with their opinions of the FOT48 Event. The three of us watched the flag snap open with the wind and echoed a single response…wow. I wish to extend another invitation to them: come join us next year.

Wow, groupies! 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2006 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.